Skip navigation
TTHTech
Currently Being Moderated

Caching of installer files not working

Aug 6, 2012 3:32 AM

I have created an MSI for Acrobat Standard X with patches merged using the Customisation Wizard. This has worked fine except that although I selected "Enable Caching of installer files on local hard drive" this does not occur. Can anyone suggest why not?

Cheers,

Ben

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to TTHTech

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to TTHTech

I'm not aware of a bug in this area. Can you poke around in the installer tables and see if ENABLE_CACHE_FILES has been set (use the Direct Editor). Alternativley, use the property on the cmd line or in Setup.ini.

hth,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to TTHTech

Where are you expecting the cached installer files to be?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to TTHTech

I see you're working with 8.0 which is ancient history. Not sure the property above is supported in 8.0, but a look at the installer tables will tell you.

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to TTHTech

If you are using Acrobat X Standard the cached files should be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Setup Files\{AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-000000000005}

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to TTHTech

You're correct about the size. 11.0 is due soon as well.

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:44 AM   in reply to TTHTech

Post your actual command line.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to TTHTech

Hello, I have the same problem. I tried with the MSI taken from the SFX and with the MSI directly downloaded from the Adobe FTP yet the ENABLE_CACHE_FILES is ignored both when set with the Customization Wizard X (everything else works there) or when passed by hand to MSIEXEC.

If somebody could have a minute to spare to confirm the issue the command I used is: "msiexec /i AcroRead.msi ENABLE_CACHE_FILES=yes". Adobe Reader installs normally but in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Setup Files" folder I only find an empty folder where the cached files should be. If I use the Customization Wizard in that folder there would be only an Enterprise.mnt file. Normally the lack of install cache wouldn't cause any issue but I started to be prompted for the install files source with the latest update (11.0.03) that came out today and I traced the problem back to this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to cimichanga

See if "YES" in all caps changes the result.

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to brogers_1

Thanks for the input, it helped me find what I think is a bug in the installer. If I use the official MSI, that is a single file with no additional Data1.cab (all files are in the MSI), the switch doesn't work, probably because the MSI expects to copy Data1.cab as well, but if instead I unpack the SFX installer and take the AcroRead.MSI and Data1.cab from there it actually works. The switch required uppercase, like you said, but I had tried also using the transform file that had set it correctly though. Thanks again, I hope this gets fixed, using the MSI+CAB increases the install time and also wastes more space on disk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points