Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

color settings

Aug 6, 2012 8:31 AM

Hi,

I updated to North America PrePress 2. And the profile is for Adobe RGB 1998.

Now, every file I open brings up the dialog with Profile or Policy Mismatch.

And then I need to assure it that I'd like to Adjust hte document to match the current color settings...

This will be quite annoying. How can it universally understand that, yes, this is what I want without asking me for each & every file going forward?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 6, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to r_tist

This will be quite annoying. How can it universally understand that, yes, this is what I want without asking me for each & every file going forward?

The RGB policy setting for North American Prepress 2 is Preserve Embedded Profiles. The policy is save with the doc when you create it, so for older documents that don't use that policy you have the option to update the policy when they are opened. Check the Adjust the document to match... radio button when you open old docs and Save. Next time you open that doc you won't get the mismatch dialog (assuming you don't change Color Settings).

Screen shot 2012-08-06 at 11.52.42 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to r_tist

Uncheck the profile mismatch boxes

Screen shot 2012-08-06 at 10.58.45 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to r_tist

I think I'm reading this a little differently than Rob and Mike.

It appears to me that you want to move all your files into Adobe RGB and SWOP 2, and you want mismatched files to convert automatically without warning you (which is not something I'm in favor of, but each to his own). I would creat a new custom settings file withthose two profiles and set options to convert to the working spaces and not to warn you.

Convert to Profiles no waarnings.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 6, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Turning Ask When Opening off is a problem if you really want the North American Prepress policy, which is to   honor placed RGB profiles and keep the ID document RGB profile assigned, and to keep the document's CMYK profile but ignore placed CMYK profiles. The only way to change an existing file's policy is to check and change when opening. Changing the policy and profile assignments in Color Settings only affects future documents.

convert automatically without warning you... which is not something I'm in favor of

For good reason, non default blacks would convert to 4-color, primary colors would likely be contaminated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 14, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to r_tist

You are saying this will contaminate colors? What is the best suggested method in which to set this up?

No, I'm saying changing the Color Setting's policies to Convert to Working Space might.

With Convert to Working Space as the policy,  opening a doc with an embedded profile that conflicts with the current working CMYK space, changes the document's CMYK color values. So a color like 100% cyan converted from US Sheetfed to  US Web Swop could convert to something like 99|17|5|0 and non default 100% blacks would convert to 4-color blacks

If you set your Color Settings to North American Prepress 2 and update the policy on open as I'm showing in #1, a profile conflict would be fixed via assigning the US SWOP and AdobeRGB profile rather than converting—you won't get the warning again after the document is saved.

Converting 100% cyan from US Sheetfed to US SWOP in PS:

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points