Skip navigation
IEWK
Currently Being Moderated

Why aren't templates automatically updating pages?

Aug 6, 2012 12:48 PM

Tags: #template #dreamweaver #cs6

I added a page and changed the link to the page in the menu bar, I Saved All, and then the dialogue box did not come up to update all the pages. So then we went to Modify, templates, update pages, and still nothing happened. No diologue box popped up. What can I do so this will work on Dreamweaver CS6? Does it has something to do with the settings? Also, the original template was created using version CS5.5, is that a factor?

www.iewaterkeeper.org

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to IEWK

Is the menu in an editable region?  If so, then this is exactly what should have happened.  The only changes that propagate from Template to child are changes to non-editable regions.  We can tell for sure what is happening if you would post a link to one of your child pages so that we can examine the code.

Also, the original template was created using version CS5.5, is that a factor?

No, definitely not.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to IEWK

I'll just add that having your menu/navigation element within an editable region is a VERY BAD IDEA.  Just saying....

Of all the content on the page, the very last thing you'd want in an editable region is your menu.  Why?  Because you definitely do not want to maintain links individually on every page in the site!

Let's see your child page so we can make some face-saving suggestions for you....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points