Skip navigation
trcomm0903
Currently Being Moderated

Opening Help Topic in a New Window

Aug 4, 2012 7:40 AM

I'm posting this inquiry after searching the forum for the above topic. I have a client who requires that a contextual help page be opened in a new browser window when users press F1 in a web application screen. The client does not want help opened in a new tab or in the same window as the web application screen.

The web application for which I'm writing help supports only Internet Explorer, versions 7 through 9 (no other browsers). The client programs in .NET and, for security, handles HTML help pages like .aspx.

I have RoboHelp HTML 9 installed. Contextual help mapping is done with an external XML schema that pairs web application screens with target help topics via F1.

In practice, despite the new-window requirement, testers have found that CSH opens differently with different combinations of browsers and operating systems. With Windows XP - IE 7 & 8 and Windows 7 - IE9, when the user presses F1, the help screen is opened in a new tab. In Windows 7 - IE8 (32 and 64 bit), it opens in a new window. This last is the way the client expects it to work.

Here's my question: With RoboHelp HTML 9, can I control whether help opens in a new window, the same window or a new tab? Or do I need to rely on a developer to configure the web application server so that help opens in a new window as expected?

So far, after a search of user documentation for RoboHelp and my help mapping configuration files, I haven't found a way in RoboHelp or Help Mappings to control whether contextual help opens in a new window or a new tab. I would appreciate any information on whether this attribute can be controlled through a server configuration, or .NET, or some other aspect of the system beyond RH. Or am I overlooking something in RH?

Thanks and regards,

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to trcomm0903

I'm not sure here but I would say that there is no way you can make that happen from RoboHelp. I believe it will always open in the way you describe, according to the user's browser settings and operating system.

If there is a way to do it, my gut feel is that is something that your developers will have to implement.

As a software user, I think it would irritate me to find new browser instances opening but you have to go with what your client wants.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points