Skip navigation
mike_cuesta
Currently Being Moderated

Create outlines rendering font poorly in Illustrator CS5, not sure what is happening

Aug 6, 2012 1:59 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #cs5 #bug #type_issues #font_conversion #create_outlines

Is there a reason why when I convert a font using create outlines, this is happening with Stempel Schneidler btw, it appears to add a bit of weight to the type? I've never run across this issue before. I first noticed it when I printed out the document. It all of a sudden seemed heavier compared to the font normally. The problem becomes much more pronounced at a small scale. I notice it onscreen AND when I print it. I wouldn't normally create outlines but the letterspacing is pretty tight on this and I need to make a TY ligature.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? I need to get this resolved ASAP as the proof of this job needs to go out by Friday. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to mike_cuesta

Mike,

Just to make sure: you do have Align to Pixel grid unticked, no?

It makes a thick mess of letter shapes if ticked (or should I say thicked).

You can see it in the Transform panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to mike_cuesta

One of the foremost reasons not to outline type. It looses all hinting that is built into the font which will usually make the font appear bolder when printed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points