Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mobile app Google map charge?

Aug 6, 2012 8:36 AM

Tags: #mobile_apps

Dear All,

I'm sure many of you have encountered this question, so I'll ask in this forum.  I'm creating an iPhone mobile app and want to include a google custom map with locations pinpointed and text added.  The google site says that there is no charge for using Google maps on mobile devices, but does that also include my custom-made map?  The map I'm working on is not part of their business package, just a custom-made user's map, but I wonder if I can use that in a commercial venue.  Thanks.

Small Town Gal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Small Town Gal

I don't know. Probably best to ask Google what their licensing terms are.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to bemdesign

Google has this posted on their website:

https://developers.google.com/maps/faq#usagelimits

There is no charge, but there are usage limits.  Once you start requesting too much from Google you either have to pay or your users receive errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Small Town Gal

You are really doing yourself a disservice by not signing up.  The basic membership for Apple is ~$100 for the year and puts you in touch with other XCode developers and Apple has private forums with more developers who do this every day.

But if it's just a custom map/structure, do you have to use the Maps feature?  Do you need GPS or location for someone on a mobile device?  Otherwise, can you not slice it up with image hotspots on a simple webpage and link the hotspots to other detail pages?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points