Skip navigation
awesomealvin
Currently Being Moderated

Best motion tracking plugin?

Aug 5, 2012 12:22 AM

Tags: #after #effects #plugin #track #motion #best #tracking

What is the best motion tracking plugin, or application that can be exported to After Effects?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to awesomealvin

That depends on what you are trying to do, what your budget is, and what kind of footage you are working with. We need more details. There is no one best for all situations motion tracking solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to awesomealvin

Ive heard lots of folks say Boujou is their fav.  $10,000

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to awesomealvin

That answer should have actually made you revise your own statement: whether you really need 'the best' motion tracking application or a plug-in of 'any price' or ought to simply learn tools you have at hand a bit better...

Taking into account your previous thread, you may probably want to have a look at this Video Copilot tutorial - all that was done with just planar tracking in Mocha without solving camera in 3D...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to awesomealvin

Mocha has been and continues to be a state of the art tracker. AE just decided to incorporate it into its software.

The Mocha 3.0 version you must buy separately has more features.

Also Syntheyes I believe does both object and camera tracking now.

Google is your friend. Check them out. Most folks needs can be effectively fulfilled with Camera Tracker and Mocha in AE. The skill is learning how to use them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to awesomealvin

awesomealvin wrote:

Any price.

What's the best motion tracking when tracking still objects while the camera is moving?

AND

What's the best motion tracking when tracking moving objects, etc. a ball. But the camera is also moving.

This also depends on the shot. For most of my tracking work, for most shots, the tracking tools in CS6 are more than adequate. If there's a particularly difficult shot to track because of the background, the foreground, motion blur, or other factors I'll use Syntheyes. For some jobs I use Mocha Pro.

If I'm doing a project that requires inserting 3D animations in the scene I usually use Blender or C4D. Blender's camera tracker is very good and Blender is open source (free) software with excellent integration with AE.

If you have a shot that just won't track with anything elce then you have two options. A software solution like Boujou can do some pretty amazing things, but it starts at $5,000. But there are shots that even Boujou has trouble with and that require a lot of hand work. High end tracking software is your first option. You second option, and for any production not involving a bus full of crew and a truck full of equipment, the best option is a re-shoot. I guess there's a third option. That would be to re-think the story your trying to tell and decide if you can do it without the shot.

The key to doing good motion tracking is pre-production planning. Designing a shot that's going to work is a matter of experience. You might get lucky just going out on the street with your camera and grabbing something, but you also might end up with something that doesn't have a chance of working.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to awesomealvin

Ha ha. I think you need to learn the basics of what these programs do.

You could track that for free using Mocha for AE. Tracking is like playing an instrument. It is a skill that requires learning. 

Do some tutorials to increase your understanding and ability. Mocha used to cost $5,000 many years ago. It has a lot to offer if you know how to use it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points