Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Flash player - Cpu usage is kinda of getting ridiculous?

Aug 2, 2012 9:28 PM

Tags: #adobe #flash #player

Hey, all. My first post here, I hope I do it well.

I'm just wondering, yet a little upset, why Flash player is asking a HUGE ammount of cpu usage.

I remember in the year 2004 a 2005 that my little cousin had my old pentium2 at 450 mhz and 256 mb memory on the OS winxp prof. With a simple video card as a geforce 2 100/200 mx with 32 mb of memory

My point: Since that year we've uploaded some video's on youtube and other places who are still online.

But in 2004 a 2005 on the pentium 2 full screen, even on that pc was no probleem. Now, today;s we cant even watch that SAME video on a pentium 4 prescott@2800 mhz with 3 gig of memory and a 512 mb ddr 3 card. THis is kinda ridiculous isn't it?. Even the 240 a 480 stutters in full screen not to mention 720p and up is impossible to watch.(even in small window)

This happens also on others system who are a amdx64 2800 to 3500 rating.

My question is really: Why is the cpu usage soo big for a flash video, while it played fine in the old days in the year 2005, on a simple p2 system. Its the same video, same resolution and the same old codec(s) lols:(

Info: Playing HD movies on the p4 or amd x64 is fine as long its locally played with a player. Only with flash or visiting sites its just rly rly slow. Its like an atari 800 xt filling the screen, line, by line.

Ofcourse all is updated to the latest.

Any way to make my cousin watch for exsample youtube again? Should be normal to watch a movie on a p4 right?

Thanks for reading.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 9:35 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

What is your operating system & version?

What is your web browser?

What is your Flash Player version?

Do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled?

What is the CPU usage you see?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

Trancelistic wrote:

Flash player latest ( i think its 11, pretty sure it is)

I really need to know your Flash Player version; see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html# main_Find_the_Flash_Player_version_installed_on_your_machine

Trancelistic wrote:

cpu usage is on 100% even small windowd.

What process is using it?  See Task Manager | tab Processes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

P.S. what is your display adapter, device driver version & date?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

Do you have 'Spybot Search & Destroy' installed?  I just read on another forum that a user with a similar problem fixed it by disabling the SS&D Teatimer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

hi, guys. i have the exact same issue whit flash player on crome and explorer.
    around 15 days ago i found my youtube full screen start to drop 80% of frames.
    start to search what was happening an found the cpu on 100% !
    i have the same flash player version than "trancelectic" which is 11.3.31.222

i found a new version of flash player available but the upgrade in not possible beause the flash player installation site tells me that i've the last version. so i try to unninstall the 11.3.31.222 and download manually que last version.
    i already tryed to unninstall the flash player 5 times  and its impossible even with the adobe unnistaller and deletting the folder contents ans indicates the adobe uninstall help.

so i start to think that this issue is a virus or malware. i already check the system with malware bytes, eset antivirus, avast and every cleaner available.
    notting happens!!!!!
    i still loose frames on full screen as never before.
    i have my hp pavilion who never behave this way before.
    today i tryed others players like nasa tv live and the full screen video was nasty!
    this is not a hardware issue or video card insuficiency. i insist that 15 days ago every video run perfect even in 1080p full screen on youtube.
    please helpme understand what is happening and why the flash player 11.3.31.222 persist on my system and is impossible to unisntall!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to albertocarlosbustos

I have exactly the same problem with the guys above...

The problem is essentially when using Chrome and adobe flash version 11.3.31.222 (same with the guys above).

If i use firefox or IE, the problem still exists but it is slightly better (flash version for firefox and IE : 11.3.300.268

When I do 720 or 1080 my CPU use goes up to 100% and the video gets broken...

I have not had this problem some days ago!

I've also tried to uninstall and install, problem still there. I even uninstalled and installed chrome, problem still persists.

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to albertocarlosbustos

I have the same problem and a similar time frame.  It makes me think it was a problem with and update or a virus.  It came out of nowhere with no changes that I conciously made.  My cpu usages spikes which causes overheating and eventual crashes. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to thoughtspart3

Well, the fact that we all seem to be have having it around the same timeframe, it doesn't suggest a virus to me, but an automatic update on adobe's part.....

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 6, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to ougka

A few things to try here.  First, for Chrome issues, please report this as a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list

For bugs that are against IE, Firefox, Safari or other browsers, please enter a bug at http://bugbase.adobe.com.

Next, I'd recommend trying to disable hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference.

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

Finally, on Chrome, try disabling the PPAPI version of Plugin to see if it's "Pepper" related.  If so, please note this in your bug report on the Chromium bug base.

1. Navigate to "about:plugins" in the Chrome address bar
    2. Click the Details link in the upper right part of the page to expand all items
    3. Locate the "Shockwave Flash" entries (there will be 2 or 3 of these)
    4. Click "Disable" for the PPAPI copy (most likely the first one listed), which has a version number of 11.3.31.222
    5. Restart Chrome for good measure and try again

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I have similar issues as the OP and have seen same scenario play out over the past couple of years. Why would it take nearly a full on gaming rig these days to get Flash to work correctly, when just  a couple of years ago it worked fine on a mid range system?  Doesn't make any sense. 

Just as recently as a year ago I was able to watch the videos streamed from Speed2 .com at full screen on a 50" plasma with no problem. Now, the video is so choppy, it's unwatchable.  I have a 30MB cable connection with 32bit Windows 7 system that is dedicated for video. No bloatware installed, only VLC is installed.  All other video formats either streamed locally or played from the host machine play fine, including HD content.  The only constant problems are with Flash content streamed via the web.  Doesn't matter what brower is used either.  Tried IE and Chrome....did all of the uninstalling/reinstalling, clearing the cashe....disable/enable harware acceleration.....makes no difference. Disappointed in Adobe though, they have turned what was intially an entertaining and fun way for me to access content I never otherwise would have been able to, into a situation that is frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

ok, i think we are getting somewhere!

I have no idea what PPAPI or pepper is, but disabling it (i.e. the 11.3.31.222) improved things a lot.. So, thanks for that!

Now I am back to 11.3.300.268 on all browsers, which make things better, but still I ain't happy.

You have got to be able to build flash in a better way... It cannot abuse two cores like that because of a full screen video...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

Hey, I also use a Pentium 4 cpu on my PC with 800Mhz FSB being the same Prescott CPU series, but instead of a 640 3.2Ghz , I use a 650 3.4Ghz. I also use a AMD Radeon HD 4550 graphics PCI Expressx16 2.0 card in a PCI Express 1.0x16 card slot for graphics hardware acceleration, and I've been getting choppy video playback from flash player versions 11.2 and higher and had to resort to using flash player 11.1 currently. For RAM, I also use  4GB PC-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (a.k.a. memory speed =667Mhz). What's the memory speed on your RAM? Also, what's the PCI Expressx16 version on your graphics card slot on your motherboard (Is it  version1.0 or 2.0?) Perhaps PCI Expressx16 graphics card slot version or memory speed being less than CPU FSB speed might be affecting performance with the multithreading video decoding introduced in flash player since version 11.2?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

Transcelistic, go and try the trick that Chris suggested, regarding disabling PPAPI on Chrome. This would help you revert back to an earlier version of flash that makes things slightly better (but still not good). This would help you identify the issue....

I am in the same position...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

So Trancelistic, are you saying the graphics card slot on your motherboard is a PCI-E x 16 2.0 card slot and not just your nvidia gts250 graphics card that is a PCI-Ex16 2.0 graphics card? What's the model of the motherboard you're using so I can check the motherboard specs for myself or if it's a OEM PC, what's the model of the PC? I'm asking this because I never come across a lot of PCs with Pentium 4 Prescotts CPU with PCI Expressx16 2.0 card slots.

Can you also try to disable the sound card devices on your PC and then test flash player to see what happens because I have a win xp on one or two machines, and disabling all sound card devices seems to cause flash video playback for example on youtube to pause automatically after about a period of seconds of playback?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

I reverted back to 11.2.202.235 and have not had any problems yet.  I will do more testing to confirm.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to thoughtspart3

Hey, I spoke with Trancelistic, his nvidia gts250 video card which is PCI Expressx16 2.0 graphics card is actually put in a PCI Expressx16 1.0 card slot on his motherboard. Has anyone else been using Flash Player 11.2, Flash Player 11.3 or Flash Player 11.4 beta with a PCI Expressx16 2.0 graphics card in a a PCI Expressx16 1.0/1.1 graphics card slot or a ith a PCI Expressx16 2.0 graphics card in a a PCI Expressx16 1.0/1.1 graphics card slot? If so, what's your flash video playback performance?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 8, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to hikerKS

Chrome was updated to version 21.0.1180.75m today. 

To update, please go to Chrome's tool menu and select "About Google Chrome".  Wait until the update has completed and then restart the browser.  You can verify that you are using the latest Flash Player for Chrome by going to the following URL and verifying that Flash is at 11.3.31.225.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I updated to the latest version of Chrome and to Flash v. 11.3.31.225, it is still unbearable. Cpu up to 100%...

I reverted to 11.3.300.268 with your about:plugins trick.. It's not excellent, but at least I can see videos...

You have to fix this guys.... Whatever you did in that 11.3.31.x version is eating our cpu....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

see if you can disable Chrome's built-in flash plugin, and install the flash plugin for other browser(a.k.a. the non-IE and non-activex plugin) and then see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 10, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to ougka

ougka wrote:

You have to fix this guys.... Whatever you did in that 11.3.31.x version is eating our cpu....

Please open a new bug report on the Chromium site.  Details can be found here: http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidelines

I'll also bring this up to the Google team, but it'll be much easier for everyone if I have a bug report to reference.  I'd also recommend others adding their comments and observations.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

I also have this problem. Flash videos on Google Chrome will make my CPU usage run WILD climbing and climbing until my PC shuts itself off due to overheating prevention. These problems started around Flash player 11.3. There were no problems of the like before 11.3.

Frankly I am not impressed by the way the people from Adobe are handling this serious issue, as people seem to be ushered towards filing bug reports specific to browsers. So I have done some environmental testing to make sure this is a Flash problem.

I can confirm that disabling hardware acceleration does not fix anything.

I can confirm that reverting to an earlier (non PPAPI) version of Flash does not fix anything. (For reference: I have tried 3 different Flash player versions under 11.3).

I can confirm that the combination of disabling hardware acceleration and reverting to non PPAPI version of Flash does not fix anything.

I can confirm that updating graphics cards drivers or reverting them does not fix anything.

I can confirm that running Internet Explorer with it's own Flash plugin shows the same problem.

I can confirm that running Firefox with the Flash plugin shows the same problem.

----

In conclusion: If it walks and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Flash is overheating PC's, and I am unpleasantly surprised that this issue is not taken more seriously. Therefore I totally agree with Trancelistic has been typing, this is insane.

My specs for evaluation:

CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.07ghz

RAM: 12GB

GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    GFX driver: 8.17.12.9573

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to Sylvannes

Yep.  Did most of the things you mentioned with no changes.  I use firefox so it is not just Chrome.  I have to keep an eye on my temperatures and can only watch videos for a few minutes and then have to stop or my computer shuts down.  I tried cleaning out the dust, make sure my fans were working, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Sylvannes

I need to rectify myself here, as I have just found some compelling new evidence.

The problem for me does not show up in regular Flash videos like those found on Youtube.

It shows up on livestreams. And I mean every kind of livestream.

Examples I used to test this with:

http://www.own3d.tv

http://www.twitch.tv

http://www.ustream.tv

Player game streams, Penguin or Shark cams, etcetera. All these livestreams produce a massive load on my CPU that wasn't there in earlier Flash versions.

I hope this helps in solving the bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Sylvannes

I would like to add that this includes music streams via Flash player. This would suggest it has nothing to do with graphics drivers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to Trancelistic

I'd love some response to my testing.

When I get home from work I will try some more environmental testing. Things like disabling Microsoft Security Essentials. I've theorized the CPU load might be high because MSE scans all the incoming data from streams and is bad at it.

This is not likely though, as the CPU usage always comes from the browser / plugin process.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 17, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Trancelistic

For reference, did anyone open a bug on this CPU usage issue over at the Chromium site?  If so, please let me know the number so I can follow up internally.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points