Skip navigation
visagold2
Currently Being Moderated

shortcut keys to menu bar?

Aug 6, 2012 3:44 AM

Tags: #macpro #shortcut #cs6

Hi, I've looked everywhere on websites, forums.. I need to ask here since I can't find the answer.

What is the shortcut keys to "menu bar" on photoshop on mac?

I just want to go to the menus below, by using shortcut.

File

Edit

Layer

Type

Select

Filter

3D

View

Window

Help

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to visagold2

First time Mac user?  Welcome to the Mac. 

It may come as a rude surprise to you, but we can't access the menus themselves via shortcuts.  The menu commands or menu items sure, but you can't get the menus to drop down through a key combination.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Trnsprnt_Apple_in_circle.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to visagold2

Not any that I know of. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to visagold2

visagold2 wrote:

sad

Don't be too terribly sad...  PC users sometimes find that the Alt key combinations to activate menus (e.g,. Alt F to open the File menu) get in the way of using the Alt key as a modifier inside Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to visagold2

Ctrl+F2 is the default to move focus to the Apple icon in the menu bar. Then press the initial letter of the desired menu or use arrow keys.

If the system is set up so that the function keys act as media control keys then the fn key (above delete key) must be depressed to bypass the special features printed on the function keys. You can invert that behaviour in System Preferences for Keyboard to make the function keys easier to use.

Key1.png

You can change the shortcut for menu focus in the System Preferences for Keyboard Shortcuts. For example, change from Ctrl+F2 to just F2.

key2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to conroy

Visagold,

To expand on what conroy 2009 shows above, once you have the Apple menu selected:

• you can hit the down arrow to open the menu
    • move from menu to menu by using the right (or left) arrows and the menu will open on the new menu.
    • navigate items in the open menu by using the down arrow (this even works for flyout menu items) and hit return to "click" the menu command.

Cycling through the menus work slightly different in InDesign and Photoshop.

In Photoshop you can continually cycle just by using the arrow keys.

However, in InDesign it appears that this process gets hung up when it arrives at the help menu.

Of course the fastest way is to learn the most common keyboard shortcuts. A lot of users are so used to just using keyboard shortcuts that we would have to stop and hunt when we want to show someone how to do something only using the mouse to select keyboard commands.

You can also go to the Edit menu and select Keyboard shortcuts to alter and add keyboard shortcuts to menu items that don't normally have them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to visagold2

We have been working on bringing this to you for ps6! ill post it here first after we are done.

-janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to conroy

Had not noticed that, conroy, thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:36 PM   in reply to conroy

That was an eye opener.  Thanks. conroy2009!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:39 PM   in reply to janelle_f

janelleflores wrote:

We have been working on bringing this to you for ps6!...

We can assume you mean Ps 13, a.k.a. Ps CS6.  (Adobe does a thorough job of confusing customers with the version numbering!)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:51 PM   in reply to station_two

Well, I guess many users did not actually work with Photoshop 6 back in the 90s so to those the distinction may seem irrelevant.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

...PC users sometimes find that the Alt key combinations...

...and some of us find it ineffective and futile to attempt to burden our old, atrophied brains with added key shortcuts to remember. 

That's why some of us jumped at the chance of being able to use a mouse decades ago. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Well, I guess many users did not actually work with Photoshop 6 back in the 90s so to those the distinction may seem irrelevant.

Ah, but there are plenty of Elements users still using the not-so-old Elements 6, which the lower-case 'p' in jannelle's ps6 abbreviation might suggest.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to visagold2

ill make sure i will post in this thread once we decide where it will live

janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to visagold2

ITS HERE!!

For a reference to Adobe Photoshop's keyboard shortcuts, take a look at the new Photoshop CS6 Quick Reference Guide. It is in its beta form, but it is a great way to find shortcuts, as well as find a menu location that might have changed from CS5. We are looking for your feedback, which you can contribute on the site as well.

janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to visagold2

the shortcuts are all listed under the mac and window columns. right now the shortcuts are just for the menus, we are trying to test of the effectiveness of the app.

janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to janelle_f

janelle_f wrote:

... right now the shortcuts are just for the menus, ...

I was hoping to find shortcuts for preferences, especially for darkening and lightening the Appearance: Color Theme. Any chance these could be included, or is there another reference for this info?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points