Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sale on Powerful Laptop

Aug 6, 2012 12:12 PM

...TDirect has  powerful  laptop, G75VW - TS72 for only $ 1,399..... fast i7...16GB fast memory....NVidia 670m w/3GB DDR5 memory....1920x1080 17.3" screen.....2-HDD bays, inc. supplied 750GD HDD.

If I did not already own the G73JW.....I would probably buy this......3-USB 3 ports.....HDMI and mini-display port.

For the price, a killer editing machine......esp. if you put two SATA III SSDs in it.....Corsair or Plextor Pro models only,( that use Marvell controller, not Sandforce), to handle "non-compressible data", like video files.

Use 750GB HDD in cheap USB 3 external dock for 3 disk setup.

I'm still on 5.03 PPro....reading issues concerning some issues scrubbing AVCHD with CS6 and also 5.5 issues with DSLR  codecs.......Jeff Bellune says rename some DSLR MOV extensions to MP4 to avoid turning on QT 32 bit importer. Another words, not all performance issues are hardware related.....5.5 solved some software issues and "user  error" cause some, ( i.e. failure to import whole file structure properly with media browser on AVCHD material).

This machine sounds like a monster at that price, for those who need portability....I've done well with my two year old G73jw........downloaded newest driver for internal card reader to enable it to handle 64GB Patriot SDXC high capacity SD card, used in Canon DSLR........transfer speed shows 50MB/ sec.!!!  exFAT file type removes "spanned clip" issue !! Card was $39!!!.....have two now!!!

Also, downloaded newest driver for USB 3 controller in my laptop....USB 3 transfer speed now~ 250MB/ sec. on SATA II laptop from external dock. Use many different HDDs in that cheap, fast dock.....some for backup....plug and go!! Prices are coming down!!!   Bought marvell controlled Crucial M4  512GB for only $ 389....all SSD setup now for on the road.....have many cheap spinning HDDs for spares and backups.

Portable high performance is getting closer at cheaper prices!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to JFPhoton

Which Store has this unit?. Looks awesome.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to JFPhoton

Thanks, wow what a great price.

What 7200 rpm USB drive would go well here, either 1TB or 500GIG?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to JFPhoton

Thankyou very much for your info. I took the plunge and purchased from Tiger Direct.the G75 and the Crucial M4. and also an external BluRay writer.

What a saga buying from Tiger? Because it was an international purchase I had to wire them funds to their bank rather than a normal Credit Card transaction.

I frequently buy from B&H in NY and Amazon.com with none of this jazz/hassle.

Your advice was most appreciated and certainly helped me in the decision.

I am an old cattle farmer, based in rural Australia so find it difficult to keep up with technology.

But I have a passion for video so that keeps me going.

Thankyou

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to JFPhoton

This is semi-off topic, so my apologies, but.....I see mention of the ASUS G73 here by people who have one.

A friend of mine has a G73j, and his battery seems to be shot. From what we can find out, ASUS no longer supports this model, and no longer sells batteries for it. Kind of hard to verify that, since the US ASUS eStore has been offline for an extended period (two weeks or more?).

Can someone advise where to purchase a battery for the ASUS  G73j?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to JFPhoton

Google finds many. However, I am in Canada.  Amazon will not ship the battery to Canada, and amazon.ca does not sell them.

Most of the suppliers are in the far east, and are selling third party batteries. Nobody (including Amazon) sells ASUS batteries for these, as far as I can tell.

A lot of the third party batteries seem to have a good price, until you check the specs - lower power rating. Most are 4400mAh or less, while the original is 5200mAh.

I take it that nobody here how is using a G73 has enoutered any issues with their battery?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)