Skip navigation
CarlosJ62
Currently Being Moderated

Slideshow - Stills/Audio Not Exporting Correctly

Jul 15, 2012 3:58 AM

Tags: #slideshow

I have a problem with a slideshow project I’ve been working on for a few days in Premiere Elements 10.

First, my system:

Dell Studio XPS 9100

Intel Core i7 @ 2.67Ghz

12Mb DDR3 SDRAM (1333Mhz)

ATI Radeon HD 5800 video card 1GB RAM

Windows 7 64Bit

750Gb Seagate ST3750528AS HD, 7200RPM

I insert the soundtrack in Audio 1 and then insert about 100 photos one at a time.  When inserting each photo, I adjust the still duration manually to match the rhythm of the soundtrack.  When I’m done, it all lines up beautifully when I play it in the app. Then I save it as an MPEG and play it back, but the still transitions are off from the rhythm by a few milliseconds; just enough to be unusable.

It’s a little frustrating that what I see in the app is different from what the app outputs.  I’ve tried different MPEG formats (NTSC DVD Standard to HDTV 1080P 29.97 High Quality).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to CarlosJ62

You don't say which project settings you selected when you first set up your project or if your photos were sized to no larger than 1000x750 -- but these things can play a role in how the program performs.

My suggest would be to see if you get the same result when you Share/Computer/AVI.

If the AVI is in perfect sync, then there's an easy workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to CarlosJ62

At least your large pictures did not cause a crash

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to CarlosJ62

Welcome to the forum.

First, a couple of questions:

1. Do you have any Video in your Project, or is it all still images?
    2. What is your ultimate delivery scheme, i.e. to you plan to go to BD (Blu-ray Disc), DVD-Video, streaming video on the Web, etc.?

If you ONLY have stills, and no Video, then your choice of Project Preset will be determined by that delivery scheme. When one incorporates Video, things change, and one would then base their Project Preset to match that Video.

Please let us know a bit more about what you are starting with (Stills only, or mixed with Video), and what you need to end up with.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to CarlosJ62

Carlos,

Given that you have ONLY Still Images, and are going to deliver via DVD-Video, I would start a DV Project (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you live) and either Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3 (your choice). That will give you either a 29.97, or 25 FPS Timeline (NTSC = 29.97 and PAL = 25).

I would use Steve's advice on Scaling the Still Images, and there are some tips on batch Scaling in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, in that first article that John T. linked to.

I like your workflow of using Audio 1 for your soundtrack, as some users have had issues with either/both of the two Fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack, and Narration. Though those problems seem to be Project-specific, there have been enough reported, and the "fix" has almost always been to just use a blank "regular" Audio Track. I do that now, totally out of habit, even though I never had any issues with Soundtrack, or Narration.

When going to DVD-Video, I almost always do some testing of my Project, before I burn the DVD-Video for delivery. I will Burn to Folder, and use a software DVD player to test that VIDEO_TS folder (with the VOB, IFO and BUP files). If that looks good, and works well, I then will Burn a Disc to an RW disc (rewritable), and test that. I do NOT deliver on an RW, as some players cannot handle those. For the RW, since I already have the VIDEO_TS foler, and it tested good, I will probably use the free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the burn to disc (first an RW and if that tests well on my many players, a final delivery disc to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blank media).

I also use another program for authoring, so there is another step for me. I Export/Share my Timeline to DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit, and Import that into my authoring program, Adobe Encore. If one was using another authoring program, the exact format/CODEC, that they Export/Share to, might differ, and be specific to what THAT authoring program wants. That might be to an MPEG-2 DVD file, or perhaps to a DV-AVI, like I do.

Good luck, and let us know if you sync is maintained better with that method.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to CarlosJ62

That is good news!

Please let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions, or problems, we will be around.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to CarlosJ62

I have to admit that I have never used Beat Detection. Instead, I use the * key on the numeric keypad, to add Markers, and edit to those. If I miss the beat by a bit, the Markers can be adjusted by hand.

I also find that zooming in on the Timeline in the horizontal axis, and then click+dragging the Audio Track, to get some vertical zoom, helps me to see the beats in the Audio, and I can then adjust MY Markers, if I was off by a bit.

Just not sure about Beat Detection, but some other users have been a bit less, than impressed too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points