Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Jun 29, 2012 2:58 PM

I think it's safe to say that myself, and other Mac users of CS6 products, aren't really thrilled with the new Windows look.  It reminds me of when I was forced to use a Windows machine and early versions of Illustrator and Photoshop on said hardware. A reocurring nightmare.

If there's an Adobe rep monitoring this, can you please tell me "Why?" and, more importantly, is there a way to get the old Mac GUI back?

Thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but no, you can't change it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

I'm a long time Mac user, and I have a hard time understanding what UI change happened in CS6 that made the Mac version of CS products look like Windows. I'm mystified.

The only major UI change was the dark interface, but you can change the lightness/darkness in the preferences of each application where that change was made.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

Each to their own. I have no problem with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to SlamDesi

I’m a bit curious. As someone who uses Windows and Mac, I really don’t get where this Windows-like UI reference is coming from.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to SlamDesi

I agree with SlamDesi, also wonder why the UI changes aren't consistant throughout the whole package...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

As things move forward I believe you’ll see that happen.

Not all of the apps have been decarbonized, yet.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

Now now…no reading into anything.  It’s just a simple observation.

There are things than can be done with cocoa apps that cannot be done with carbon.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

That's a pity. But CS6 gui on mac looks terribly. Especially with layers palette. It was very easy to locate needful layer on palette in previous versions of PS. My eyes quickly determined which layers are visible and which aren't. But now I cannot see it at my first quick look. I need to deailly look at layer bars on palette because there's ugly small squares near invisible layers, and that squares looks almost the same "gray spot" as an "eye" icon, so if I look at palette quickly, I see no difference. Also all icons on various palettes now looks too flat and sharp as on Windows versions, and I don't like this way. I have a Mac, I like my Mac and I prefer to see MacOS style palettes. Also, the vaunted Mercury Engine often works slower on 27" Mac with i5 and 8Gb. Why? This new NON-mac GUI style is terrible. There is only a reason I prefer use CS5 and don't want to buy CS6 And I afraid Adobe have now a new way and will not return old style of icons and palettes. And it is a very very very huge sadness.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

I think you may want to pop over to the Illustrator forum for that, one.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to despoth

OK. I thought that I'd have a look at the two UIs side by side. I opened up a PS sample file with layers (since "despoth" said that that was a problem) and make screen captures in CS5 and CS6. I set the UI in CS6 to light background so they would be similar (which I prefer anyway).  Here's what they look like side-by-side (double-click the image to see it at full size):

SideBySide.jpg

Yes, the icons at the bottom are flatter in CS6 (they lose the dropshadow).  I find the layer names easier to read (larger type). I like that the panel tabs are upper/lower case instead of all caps. I don't get the problem of seeing which ways are hidden; seems pretty clear to me.

All in all, I like the look. It's definitely not going backwards so I suggest you get used to it. Sorry for the bad news.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

interesting, anyone elses cursor changed slightly aswell, bigger/smaller regarding different tools?

that, I don't like!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

It's overall feeling. Look on that screenshot. "Eye" icon is smaller and with less brightness than in CS5. And empty box under "eye" icon now is raised in CS6 instead embossed down in CS5. Triangle arrows are again smaller. And "folder" icons are smaller too and are flat with no gradients and slim shadow.  So all that things makes overall layers palette more sharper but less brighter, and layer groups, visible and invisible layers looks the same, the difference between them is ugly.

p.s. Sorry for my bad English.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to despoth

Beauty and ugliness are in the eye of the beholder.

As you can see when you observe some married couples. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

I spent a decade wishing for a modern interface for FrameMaker, eventually FrameMaker got the CS Suite interface redesign. I was not a happy camper. But I use it. I think most of the differences (but not all) are just us getting used to change. It is not a Windows/Mac thing, but a change thing. The subtle changes remind us that things are not like they were. We are comfortable as things were.

Not all change is good, but change in itself is good. It gets us out of our comfort zones and makes us rethink what we have been doing. Not everyone likes change.

Having said that, I still hate the MS Office Ribbons . But when I go back to using what I remember liking so much more it now takes me more time than it did before to get things done. Is it Ribbons are better, or just the new what I am used to.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I'm a little dissapointed in the Illustrator palettes especially as well.  They are not constistent with the other Suite's GUIs.  I set up PS and InDesign palettes to fit nicely in my workspace but when I got to Illustrator it seems the palettes are much wider and taller and it would seem for no good reason.  The info in the palettes is just more spread out -very much just a waste of crucial real estate.  I am now forced to build a completely different workspace which does seem to go backwards to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

I've been working like crazy lately and just got around to installing this on my MAC. I have to say I don't really care for the new look. The problem I have is that I don't like that every started out bond to a box like a typical Windows program right off the bat. I have both a PC and a MAC. I miss the freedom that my old CS programs seemed to have when it came to my project windows. I'll show you a picture of what I'm talking about. Before i had freedom to move my project windows to another screen and everything i was looking for would be on another. Now it's bond to a box. Yes, I can move the project out of that box, but the box never goes away. It just sits there like it was clumsily forgotten about. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it.

Screen shot 2012-08-22 at 9.05.08 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-08-22 at 9.12.24 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to SpamInAcan

@Spaminacan,

The feature you're talking about is called the Application Frame. You're showing us screen captures of Photoshop CS6 where it is turned on by default. But you can turn it off in Window > Application Frame. It's a option, and is not required on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve you are awesome! I'd been trying to find that all day and gave up. Glad I came back to look at your reply. Thanks man!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

I think the new GUI is a step backwards for Mac users. It feels as though there is less contrast between icons and it's panel, plus less free space around the icon/name within it's panel (despite monitor sizes increasing.)

I especially don't like the new save screens as they background grey is too dark and again, the type is smaller and the contrast feels reduced, plus the mono styling does not give a quick reference for which options are checked (or not.)

Complaining may not fix anything, but I feel better for having done it.

*Edit*

My complaints are centred on Illustrator and Photoshop.

Message was edited by: matt-dd

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to matt-dd

I find the same thing in the Windows version of ID. 

Would be nice to see posts that are helpful and not so pissy.  I wonder if most of you have jobs...

Supposedly the Mac interface can be changed if you don't like it by simply going to the preferences and adjusting the 'brightness'.

Too bad for us Windows users that at the cost of several thousand $$$ that we can't access the same customization.

If anyone has really helpful insight into this, please reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

yet have nothing to do with the GUI...

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 30, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to matt-dd

I hate it. Major step backwards, and it's aggravating to my sensibilities. It's not the light/darkenss, it's the redesign of tools and palettes. Normally I've appreciated how the GUI evovled over the past 22 years I've been using Adobe products. How well you handle the GUI is part of your productivity. I'll say straight up - I have to get used to the new angled Pen Tool (among other things), and I simply don't care for it. This may sound pissy, but needless changes like these that actually do affect productivity should never even be considered.

I'm happy that many of you have no problem with it or do not even recognize the difference. Not sure how others in the visual arts don't notice it, but I sure do. I might stick with CS5.5 for awhile. It wouldn't be the first time I stuck with older software for productivity reasons.

But, just curious, does anyone know of a way, like the old ResEdit tricks, to put the interface "back" to the earlier ways?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to SlamDesi

Just installed CS6 and sorry guys, the interface is overall clunky and unappealing.  Feels like 1988. I have used your software since V1 (photoshop had no undo's!), so it is a disappointment after all these years that you have stepped backwards in interface design.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to LPembroke

As a reminder...you are speaking to other Adobe software users here, not Adobe.

If you wish to make you feelings heard, do it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Much better to discuss this publically, than have it go to a closed venue, since Adobe will not respond or comment anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

Knock yourself out. Just trying to help.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, I think it's fair to say we're ******** to other disgruntled Adobe software users.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to matt-dd

Like I said, knock yourselves out.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Both places are the best. Always healthier to see how the community really feels rather than through a PR filter. I'm not getting good buzz from many in my local design community. Most are concerned mostly about the push towards subscriptions. Most I know feel that Adobe does not listen well. The Dreamweaver GUI has needed serious work ever since Adobe got it from Macromedia.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to sonofmrsnak

I sent a link to this thread via the Feature Request Form.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve,

You see, to have gone our of your way to select the interface elements with the least amount of change. I too noticed the terrible flatness and ugnlyness of the CS6 interface. As a Mac user what is really noticible is that Adobe has opted to invent their own buttons, rather than use the ones provided by the OS. It's incongruent.

Also, I've been to your web site. Let's talk about design.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points