Skip navigation
D Todd Robinson
Currently Being Moderated

MSI deployment problem/previous MSI Versions or Uninstaller?

Jul 23, 2012 1:48 PM

Tags: #version #msi #uninstaller #previous #flash_player_11 #flash_player_10

I'm attempting to deploy the latest Flash Player 11.3.300.265 MSI but almost every installation is failing.  If I try to deploy the MSI manually on a problem workstation, I'm prompted for previous versions of the MSI.  Apparently the older copy of the MSI we have on our file server doesn't match what's on some of the desktops, so I receive error 1714 and the installation fails.  On workstations that have the same MSI version as what's on our file server installed, the new MSI installs properly as it's locating the previous MSI it needs.  Apparently the newer MSI packages are dependent upon whatever existing MSI is currently loaded. So my solutions appear to be:

1. Obtain each previous MSI package from version 10 and up and rotate the version stored on our network file share. Each workstation will then eventually see the old version it's looking for to faciliate a successful installation of the new MSI.
  2. Find an automated way to uninstall the current version of Flash Player and run this task ahead of the new Flash Player MSI deployment task.

Option 1 would require me to obtain each previous version we may have deployed.  Is there such a file repository available?

Option 2 is something I've tried working on but have not been successful.  The Flash Player uninstaller does not seem to work correctly.  After running it I'm still prompted for the previous MSI at the original location it was deployed from.  The Player is not listed in Programs and Features/Add-Remove Programs and the Flash directories in the Windows system folders only have the Flash log file and nothing else.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to D Todd Robinson

Hi Todd

There is a "universal flash player installer" you can get it here  :  from http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninsta ll_flash_player.exe

This uninstaller gets updated with each flash player release. You also need to get the current copy to  uninstall the latest version of the flash players.

here are some notes I've placed in my script

REM WARNING a new copy of uninstall_flash_player.exe must always be used for every new Flash version.
    REM from http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninsta ll_flash_player.exe
    REM After downloading remove the "unblock" stream from uninstall_flash_player.exe
    REM

This will get ride of all prevous version.

uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall

after this you can install the current version with the msi files.

Good luck.

Naim.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to D Todd Robinson

D Todd Robinson wrote:

I'm attempting to deploy the latest Flash Player 11.3.300.265 ...

Just curious: why are you trying to deploy an "older" version, when 11.3.300.268 has several bugs fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Question: What is the latest version of FP for Firefox? Is it 11.3.300.268 as I find on the Adobe Website or is it 11.3.300.270 as it shows in my installed programs. The latter version installed itself on August 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to Prosper87

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers