Skip navigation
athensmusician
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver can't open .class files

Jan 31, 2010 12:59 PM

Using:

Dreamweaver CS4 Version 10 Build 4117

on Microsoft Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2

I'm trying to edit Menalto PHP Gallery files via Dreamweaver. Some of Gallery's core php module files use the .class file extension. I want the following extensions to be treated as PHP files in Dreamewaver.

phtml, class, cpt

I added these extensions to the following files.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\configuration\DocumentTypes\MMDocumentTypes.xml

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\configuration\Extensions.txt

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration\DocumentTypes\MMDocumentTypes.xml

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration\Extensions.txt

I set Vista to use Dreamweaver as the default program for opening .class files.

I have restarted the computer.

I can open up phtml and cpt files just fine.  However, when I try and open .class files, I get the error:

Dreamweaver can't open .class files

Please choose an HTML, XML, or other compatible file

I used Dreamweaver to create a new file in the Dreamweaver file pannel.  I called the new file test.class and opened it up in notepad.  Dreamweaver is successfully pre-populating the test.class file with the default PHP template.

So Dreamweaver is creating the test.class file using the default PHP template, but it still can't open .class files in Dreamweaver.

I think this might be a reserved extension or something.  Anyone else had a similar problem?

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to athensmusician

I'm desperatly trying to figure out the cure for this one too?? Can Dreamweaver be configured to open class files as PHP files at all?? Or is it a lost cause?!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to athensmusician

Bummer... I normally use Aptana 3 for most of my PHP work but i just thought it'd be at least possible to get DW to use .class files! There's no reason why it can't!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to athensmusician

There actually is one very pathetic way of opening class files in dreamweaver. If you use dreamweaver's search feature, which searches files and you have the extensions.txt set for class files, then dreamweaver will search the class file and return resutls. After that you can now double click the result and it will open the class file in dreamweaver. It is the only place Adobe has forgotten to disable in order to open class files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points