Skip navigation
ddsbleton 30 posts
Oct 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

96 dpi images shrink when placed

Aug 1, 2012 3:43 PM

Tags: #image #resolutions #place #dpi #mixed

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm fairly new to InDesign.  Using 5.5 on Windows.

I'm attempting to work with a large number of images that are at a mix of DPIs.  Some are 72, some are 96.

My 72 dpi images place as expected.  My 96 dpi images all place smaller.

I want to place them all without any resizing.  They should appear in the InDesign document exactly as they appear in any other application (Photoshop, etc.)

From the little I can find on this topic, this is apparently impossible.  Apparently, I cannot mix resolutions within a single InDesign doc without having to manually adjust the scaling of one of the image sizes when importing.

But I can't imagine that this is really true.  I want it to "just work."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to ddsbleton

I generally don't use 72 or 96ppi images, so I had to try this for myself. I got the opposite results, but I'm on a Mac. My 96ppi image placed at 100%, and my 72ppi image placed at 25%. Changing the 72 to 73 resulted in a 100% size in InDesign, the way the 96 does.

ddsbleton wrote:

Apparently, I cannot mix resolutions within a single InDesign doc without having to manually adjust the scaling of one of the image sizes when importing.

I don't think it has anything do to with mixing resolutions. That gets done about every day by almost everyone, so there would have been lots of reports on that. I don't know the answer, but is there a reason you are using such low resolution? What about changing the resolution in Photoshop without resampling. That wouldn't affect the quality of the image, and it could be done with an action or maybe a droplet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to ddsbleton

I sense that perhaps you are doing a design for screen display and are working in pixels. ID really doesn't know about pixels, but uses a 1:1 correspondence between pixels and points as units. Thus, a 72 ppi image will placed at 100% will have a physical size that matches the pixel count, while other resolutions will seem larger or smaller -- Photoshop only cares about the pixel dimensions while ID reads those and then checks the resolution to decide how large or small the image should be rendered. Remember, the basis for ID is thatit is creating a page of some physical size, and it's only when an image is rendered at a physical size that resolution has meaning.

On occasion, there are files saved directly from a camera or other capture device that don't include resolution information or physical dimensions (really the same thing). ID presumes these are 72 ppi, but on occacion the presumed dimeensions would be too large to render, so the image is scaled, usually 50%. There was also a bug a couple of versions back that scaled images of a certain precise pixel dimension which I don't recall, and I don't know if that was ever fixed.

The bottom line here is that if you have the ruler set to pixels, and you place an image that is 1" x 1" at 96 ppi (and palce it at 100%) it will be only 72 units wide on the ruler because there are 72 postscript points in an inch, and you are placing the image an inch wide.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 2, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to ddsbleton

My 72 dpi images place as expected.  My 96 dpi images all place smaller.

The Transform panel's scale percentage is the scale relative to print output not the image's pixel dimensions. So a 720x720 pixel image at 72 ppi outputs at 10" square. Resize the same 720x720 image to 96ppi its output dimension  at 100% becomes 7.5" square. In Photoshop the 2 images would also output at different sizes.

If you are designing for screen and you want to place the 720x720 image so that its screen dimension inside of ID is also 720x720,  you have to size to 72 ppi. Alternately you can direct select an image that is not 72 ppi and set its width and height to its actual pixel dimensions in the Transform panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 2, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to ddsbleton

My 96 dpi images all place smaller.

Also, the scale needed to show your 96ppi image at its actual pixel dimensions on a page would be (96/72)*100 or 133.3%. So if you really do need to place varying resolution images on a page at their actual pixel dimensions, you can use the above formula replacing 96 with the image's actual ppi.

So, placing actual pixel size can be scripted. This simple AppleScript works, someone in the scripting forum might convert it into JavaScript for you:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

set myDoc to active document

set myFrame to object reference of selection of myDoc

if myFrame is {} then

display dialog "Please Select an Image Frame and try Again"

return

end if

tell application "Finder"

set myFile to choose file with prompt "Select image to place"

end tell

try

--place the chosen image in the selected frame