Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File size augments after editing a form? How to reduce size?

Aug 2, 2012 10:26 AM

Tags: #acrobat-pro

Hello,

I have been building a form and found that the size of my file grew after I made 'edits' onto (ie:  changing the wording of the original form scanned onto Acrobat Pro X, changing the font colour some letters etc.)

Question 1:  Is this normal?

Question 2: How to reduce the size of the file? (I am aware of the option that I could save the pdf into a version that's higher (by selecting anything between 6 to 10) and that would reduce the size of the pdf.

BUT, I also learned that if the end-user, who will receive my form and fill it in, do not have that particular version that I've saved it to, then s/he could not fill in the form!!

Is there a solution to my problem? Please help!

*I am using Acrobat Pro X.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Win_Form

Not uncommon, You are adding another layer and a lot of font information and some edit junk.

You can try to optimize the form with Acrobat Professional's Optimizer or use the "Save As..." in Standard.

The upgrade of Reader is free. Also for many forms, especially LiveCycle Designer forms, require version 6 or better and some even a newer version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Win_Form

When you are working on a file and save it, be sure to use the Save As option. The Save keeps what you have changed (supposedly to allow you to backup -- but never have heard from anyone about how you would backup, maybe ctrl-Z?).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Win_Form

I would try all 3 but save the output under different names and then look at the differences between the various files and use the one with the best results for your use. If images are re-sampled, you may not like the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Win_Form

Option 1 is important and should be used at the end of an sequence of edit-save before distributing the file. It reclaims lost space.

Option 2. No, under no situation would you need to request the end-user to download an older version of the reader, what makes you think that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Win_Form

I do not understand your point, sorry. When you use certain options in Acrobat you can choose an option to make files compatible with an older version of Acrobat/Reader. You do this to benefit people with old software, but people will all newer software will be fine, and you absolutely do not want to encourage people to use older software, that really will confuse them.

Some people with older systems need older versions, but Adobe's web site takes care of that. Old versions are offered only for these people.

As you've touched on, some people will also use different software. Not Apple but Apple Preview is included with Mac OS. Some people will buy or download other readers. Some browsers, such as Chrome and Safari, have built in PDF viewers. Bear in mind that MOST of these people won't be able to fill forms either!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points