Skip navigation
jimi6756
Currently Being Moderated

Linked Text, surely a simple solution?

Aug 7, 2012 11:57 AM

Hello all,

All I am trying to do is set up a situation in which one bit of text is then replicated all throughout the document where the linked text should be.

So, for example, in a contract, I want to type into one area that the clients name is "Tim" and wherever a 'placeholder' is the text gets updated to reflect "Tim"

For example:

--------------------

Client "Tim"

This agreement is between tim and so on.

Tim guarantees to sell me a rocket etc. Tim warrants that he will pay by 2020 etc.

---------------------

Only updating the first "tim".

I've searched and searched and read help files for hours. Driving me insane.

Please, please, tell me how to manage this simple task?

Yours sincerely

Ed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to jimi6756

What version of InDesign?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to jimi6756

One solution would be to use a custom text variable. Edit the variable and all instances will change.

The big downside is that variables don't wrap, so if the text is too long to fit the width of the line it will compress on iself, and if the string is long, but will fit on a line, it may move the whole variable to thenext line leaving a gap at the end of the previous line.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to jimi6756

Why are you editing 15 variables? Do you have 15 DIFFERENT pieces of text that appear multiple times, or one piec that appears 15 times?

How is the text currently stored?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to jimi6756

This looks like a good candidate for Data Merge. You will have to go throught the document to set up the fields, but then you should be able to create your new doucment will all info in place with just a couple of clicks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to SRiegel

Exactly.

That's why I asked how the data is stored.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to jimi6756

It has to be entered someplace. If it's "just in your noodle" why is it harder to create 15 variables in a template and edit the values than it is to type the text directly into the document once?

If you keep a spreadsheet of this stuff you can export a text file and do a data merge (and pick one record), but either way, you have to do some up front work to make a template, and type in the info someplace.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points