Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DW CS5 rtl text snippits within ltr pages

Jul 27, 2012 4:38 PM

DW CS5 on MacOS 10.7.x

I sometimes need to embed short snippets of right-to-left text in pages that are predominently left-to-right.

Editing around these insertions is often very difficult.  Design View and Code View fall out of synch.   Once the snippets are inserted, successful adjustments often depend on placing the editing cursor at the opposite end of the text and editing there.  Yeah,  it is really difficult confusing editing text that isn't visible at the cursor.

Since most of the mixed material comes to me in word-processing document form, I've tried inserting

<span DIR="RTL"> ... </span>

around each snippet and

<span DIR="LTR"> ... </span>

around everything in the original .DOC or .rtf, etc., then copying-and-pasting from that dic ti  to Code View.  This seems to help.

Suggestions for best results?

TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to hen3ry

I sometimes need to embed short snippets of right-to-left text in pages that are predominently left-to-right.

you can use CSS to do exactly what you want to do.  I am of course assuming you want to reverse the text.

1) Use this CSS:

span {

direction: rtl;

unicode-bidi: bidi-override;

font-size: 300%;

}

2) Now use this HTML in your body section:

<span>Use this text as your test</span>

Save the file and preview in your browser - ideally FF 14 or IE9.

Post back and let us know what happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to hen3ry

Hi-

Is editing easy in code view?

My old version of DW shown easily edited text in both design and code views.

Obviously it reverses in browser view. I take it views in your version are not like mine?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to hen3ry

Use a 2 column table.

<!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>English / Hebrew</title>

<style type="text/css">
    table {
    width: 700px; 
    padding:0; 
    background-color: #696;
    font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

th {
    color:#FFF;
    font-size: 18px;
    text-align:left;
    padding:0 18px;
    text-align:center;
    }

td {
    background-color:#FFF;
    height: 35px;
    padding-left:18px;}

td:nth-child(even) {
    direction: rtl;
    unicode-bidi: bidi-override;
    }

</style>
    </head>

<body>

<table>
    <tr>
    <th>English</th> <th>Hebrew</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Some English text goes here...</td>  
    <td>Some Hebrew text goes here....</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to hen3ry

Promise not to laugh, but it's an idea ----

Make a copy of your CSS stylesheet

Name the copy the same but add an X at the end of the file name.

Edit the relevant rule to remove the RTL and change the text color and enlarge the size.

When you need to edit, just add a temporary X to the CSS link

You can now easily spot your target text in design view and make the edit

When finished editing, just remove the X up top, ave and preview.

Now you can laugh!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to hen3ry

hen3ry wrote:

Here's a desperate hope:   The problems I'm observing can be fixed by flipping a hidden DW switch to activate full bidirectional text/Unicode operation.

Not in Dreamweaver CS5 nor in the English version of Dreamweaver. You need the Middle Eastern and North African version of Dreamweaver CS6. See http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/dreamweaver/using/arabic-hebrew -text.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to hen3ry

On this topic, I trust that you are probably the most well-read guy in this forum, so I trust your conclusions.

When confronting these rare issues, after a certain amount of non-billable investigation, I tend to cut my losses and go with whatever works.

In simpler language, I admit to choosing workability over elegance.

Wishing you the best -

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to hen3ry

hen3ry wrote:

Perhaps you might want to get some perspective and consider revising this reply?

You asked if there was some hidden DW switch to enable full bidirectional text/Unicode operation. The question of Arabic/Hebrew support comes up in these forums from time to time. It has always been one of Dreamweaver's weak points. I don't use Arabic or Hebrew, but from what I understand, Adobe has made considerable efforts to improve support in CS6. However, it requires the Middle East and North African version.

I can understand your frustration regarding Unicode support. For many years, I developed websites in Japanese and Korean. However, although Dreamweaver supported both languages, it wasn't until Dreamweaver 8 that the English version of the program was capable of creating pages using Asian scripts. To create a page in Japanese, I needed to change the code page in my operating system and reboot. Then to revise a page in Korean, I had to do the same. It was an extremely tiresome process. So, for a long time, I used two separate computers: one running a Japanese OS and the other running in English. It was a great relief when Dreamweaver finally managed to support the Asian scripts I needed.

The difference is that  although Japanese is normally written top to bottom, right to left, web pages are written left to right. Clearly, overcoming the right to left issue has proved more problematic for Dreamweaver. I hope that for your benefit and others that Adobe can resolve the issue. But I assure you that my reply was written in the spirit of trying to help, and not just some flip comment telling you to update to the latest version of Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to hen3ry

These are questions that can be answered only by Adobe. I have contacted an Adobe member of staff, who I hope will be able to put you in touch with someone who knows the answers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points