I am using Dreamweaver CS4 for the Mac. I am running several sites. Dreamweaver will open up all the pages on all the sites, except one. When I open that site, the files all show up on the local files listing. But when I click on any of them, all I get is the spinning beach ball.
I just repaired permissions and this did not help.
To answer your question, no. It has been working for 3 years without any problems until today.
And since my posting, I have tried a few different things. I created a new 'site' covering the same folder. With further experimentation, I found that many (all?) of the pages in certain subfolders open. I then went back to the root folder and found that some of the pages open, but others, including my index page, do not open and I end up with the spinning beach ball.
I am going to try the following things:
1) Reboot into single user mode and use AppleJax to repair the hard drive.
2) Duplicate the folder. Then go into Time Machine and recover an earlier version to see if it opens.
Well this is interesting. I duplicated the folder and then tried creating another site in Dreamweaver and accessed the duplicate - no luck, same issues.
So I went into Time Machine and tried restoring the entire site. Time Machine did not allow me to restore the entire site. It seems that some subfolders indicate that I do not have permission. However, if I restore the contents within that subfolder, it will allow me to do so. Considering I have multiple subfolders, this will be tedious.
So I restored from 3 days earlier my Index which is one I could not open before. I re-opened Dreamweaver and opened the Index and it opened and displayed. However, after the Index page displayed, Dreamweaver froze and presented me once again with the dreaded spinning beach ball and is now frozen.
So it looked like I made progress, but I did not.
Now, to make things stranger, after loading the index page, then freezing with the beach ball, Dreamweaver eventually started functioning. Now, not only can I open the index that I restored from Time Machine, but I can also access the pages in the duplicate, that I could not access before.
I went back and tried loading other pages. Some load instantly. Other require several seconds of spinning the beach ball, then they ultimately load.
So, crossing my fingers, problem is solved, but I do not know how.
My thoughts exactly. That is why not only did I repair permissions with Disk Utility, but then rebooted into AppleJack and let it do its thing.
So to review, I duplicated my files into a copy folder. I deleted the files in the original and started to retrieve with Time Machine. After finally getting the recovered index to load - somehow, I found the original index (in the duplicated folder) would also load.
So I erased my recovered index and other recovered files. I then recopied all the original files back to the original folder and the site seems to work with Dreamweaver.
Nothing I did should have solved the problem (other than repairing permissions - which did not solve the problem).
Europe, Middle East and Africa