Skip navigation
Lukus2012
Currently Being Moderated

Why is printing a drawing in PDF format so slow?

Aug 7, 2012 8:20 AM

Tags: #slow_printing

This is our first time using a wide-format printer (HP DesignJet 800PS). We receive construction drawings in PDF format. Printing size vary from 17" x 11" to 40" x 33". When I print a one page drawing, it takes about 20 minutes to print in normal mode (as opposed to Best or Draft). The printer is connected directly to our router via an ethernet cable. This is a small office with only 2 people connected to the router and this is the only printer connected to the network.

Is it normal that it takes this long to print a single page or is something wrong with our printing setup? When we sent multiple PDF drawings to the printshop in the past, they would be ready in minutes.

I am printing from a Windows XP computer using Adobe Reader 9.5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Lukus2012

Are you using the PostScript driver for the printer? I suspect not, since the Best and Draft options don't sound like PostScript options, but something more found in an office or home printer driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Lukus2012

The "PS3" driver is probably PostScript. How about... do you have 'print as image' selected in the print dialog.

For the other thing, experiment with the page rotation and scaling options. Scaling will almost certainly want to be off for such drawings.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Lukus2012

Yes, print as image should be off.

One thing to check is whether it is the nature of the PDFs you are printing. Make simple PDFs with just text, but the same large page size, perhaps in Word or whatever. Compare the print time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points