Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Get sequence start from Transmit API

Aug 3, 2012 10:30 AM

Tags: #position #timecode #transmit_api

I'm using the Transmit API to get the timecode of the sequence as it plays. I'm using the inTime and working out the number of seconds from the ticks.

This gets the number of seconds from the start, which is fine if the sequence begins at 00:00:00:00, but if it begins at 01:00:00:00 or some other value then all of the timecode values are wrong. I could not figure out a way of getting the sequence start position - am I correct in assuming that such a function doesn't exist?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

Hi Jon,

Such a call isn't available yet, but we've had a request for this and are tracking it as bug #3218723.

Cheers,

Zac

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

For automation purposes you may want to also implement reading any XMP sidecar file that exists. That has the timecode of the capture in it.

- a good example is to export H.264 in AME/PPro. the resulting xmp/xmpses file has the xmp fields of interest. Open it with WordPad (coz that understands Unicode) and you'll see a XMP:RDP packet like this:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:stCap="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/CaptureTimecode#">

<stCap:CaptureTimecode>

<rdf:Seq>

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">

<rdf:value rdf:resource="Capture"/>

<stCap:index>0</stCap:index>

<stCap:capturetime>00:07:01:13</stCap:capturetime>

<stCap:time>00:07:01:13</stCap:time>

</rdf:li>

</rdf:Seq>

</stCap:CaptureTimecode>

<stCap:NCapture>1</stCap:NCapture>

</rdf:Description>

You can read/write/modify XMP embedded in source files or in sidecar xmp files for sources that can't embed XMP using the Adobe XMP Toolkit.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp.html

regards

Rallymax.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Jon Chappell

it would be whatever the timestamp is in the src footage, so no; it's not the sequence nor clip timecodes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Jon Chappell

at a higher level - is it even possible for the sequence object to start at non-zero?

if you're making an exporter the sequence start time will be the source start and end times that you can read during exExport.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

Hey Jon - New in 6.0.2, just released, the sequence start time and timecode droppedness are available through the sequence info suite.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

Here's a link to the updated header file:

https://acrobat.com/#d=j60W3ttl3zTNIYusKY2cSA

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

hi all,

Always great to see new information in the selectors. great work.

But, this does then assume that your plugin will check to see what version it's running on. For current and future this is great but for backward compatibility to CS5, CS5.5, CS6.0.0, CS6.0.1 - which you have to assume is the majority of the market - it won't work. So if your plugin in non-commerical it's fine but if it is commercial you need to check. Will you get back an error when you try to use this new mechanism on < 6.0.2?

thx

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

thx. my post was more of a cautionary tale for those who have not needed to think about backward compatibility.

For example, betwen CS4 and CS5 the Source frameRate went from float64 fps to int64 ticks.

nothing wrong with the change - in fact it was a good thing - but it does come back to haunt you when you develop against the newest CS and then hope that it'll work on CS n-1 and n-2 etc.

The sames goes the for the Suites. If you blindly use the non-versioned label it'll always point to the current version in the SDK. eg memory suite 2,3,4. If you don't explicitly open them with the version number after detecting the app version in PrSDKAppInfoSuite then you'll fail to get those suites too.

as I said, the only reason I posted was as a cautionary note for those who have not dealt with multiple versions of the App.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

Acrobat.com has been updated, so here's the updated link to the header file:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=j60W3ttl3zTNIYusKY2cSA

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

That's it.  A developer in a different thread mentioned the link was broken so I just posted the updated link.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points