Skip navigation
jay1974php
Currently Being Moderated

form variables don't appear in Bindings panel

Nov 6, 2010 7:16 AM

Hello.  I am following a video at Lynda.com about dreamweaver and php.

I open an exercise .php file which has a basic form in it.  In the video he says to create a from variable for a text field with the name 'firstname'.  He clicks on the Bindings panel, clicks the plus button then form variable.  In the form variable dialog box he types firstname to match the form control then clicks OK.  IN the Bindings panel he has Form then firstname listed.

Now when I try to add a form variable nothing appears in the Bindings panel.

I was wondering if anyone had encountered this (is it a Preferences thing or what?)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2010 8:50 AM   in reply to jay1974php

It has nothing to do with Preferences. You need to use a PHP page. You should also define a site and local testing server, setting the server model to PHP/MySQL. See http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html,

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to jay1974php

jay1974php wrote:

Now when David does it, the variable appears in the Bindings panel as Form  -->> firstname.

The same happens when this David does it. ;-)

Sounds as though there's something wrong with your setup. Have you tried posting a question through Lynda.com's feedback system?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 7:45 AM   in reply to jay1974php

I have just run into the same issue.  Any updates/resolutions?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2011 5:00 AM   in reply to jay1974php

Thanks for the response, Jay.  It was helpful to know that I was not the only one experiencing problems.  Likewise, the only advice that I got from Lynda.com was to make sure the exercise file was not write-protected - no help!  It turns out not to matter though, because the bindings panel works fine for my own site.  Whatever the problem is, it seems to be specific to that project. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 12:04 PM   in reply to jay1974php

as of 3/20/2011 still happens

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to jay1974php

Hi everyone,

I know this is my first post here and it may already have been answered elsewhere.

This particular problem occurs when the document type you are working on is not PHP. You can see this at the Bindings tab where it reads: Document type:HTML - To change this, so that Dreamweaver CS5.5 will understand that it is a PHP document and not just a normal HTML you need to do the following;

add

<?php

?>

To the very first line of your code, then save it and you can use the correct bindings again.

Once you have done this, the Document type:HTML should have swapped to PHP and you can then access the Form Variables among other features. If it is still missing, close and reopen that document again and this time it should ask you for the related files - which it will not do in a basic HTML document (save for the CSS and SSI files you may have added, but in that case you will know that's the case)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 5:22 PM   in reply to Jim Shepherd

Hello,

I have the same problem.

1.  I completely re-installed DW CS5.

That didn't work.

2.  I deleted the configuration files .dat and then the whole folder.

That didn't work.

3.  I tried what SEO Shepard suggest and it didn't work.

Here's a Recap of The problem;

I Have Windows 7 64 bit Professionnal, on a Lenovo Y730, Dreamweaver CS5

• I am trying to set some 'form variables' using the 'Bindings' panel, pressing on the '+' sign and choosing 'Form Variable' then entering my value 'firstname'.

• Document has extension .php

• A Connection is established

• Nothing gets changed or set in the 'Bindings' panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:54 AM   in reply to meluctrue

Hi Meluctrue,

Have a look at the Bindings Panel, for the + sign to show you the options, you need to see this;

Example 1:

+ -  Document type: PHP

I believe that you have this

Example 2:

+ -  Document type: HTML

Please note:

Document file extension has nothing to do with how Dreamweaver seem to interpret the actual document.

Make sure you do the following;

1. Add <?php ?> anywhere in your code view
    2. Save the document
    3. Make sure that the document is saved as "randomfilename.php"
    4. Refresh the Desgin View (click 2x on Live View)
    5. Look at the Bindings tab, it should read exactly as Example 1 above
    6. If not, close the document and reopen it again
    7. Now it should read as Example 1 above, if not you have not closed the document properly!

I have tested and verified the above multiple times since yesterday. This works with Dreamweaver CS 5.5 Build 5315.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 4:42 AM   in reply to Jim Shepherd

Hello SEO Shepherd,

I can confirm that I do see this,

Example 1:

+ -  Document type: PHP

For me that has always showed up as Document Type PHP.

I go as far as having a pop up form which asks the name I want to give to my variable and then when I press ok. the pop up box goes away but nothing is added in the bindings panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 6:25 AM   in reply to meluctrue

I have attempted to duplicate your problem, but the only time I am unable to add anything (not even click on the +) is when the Live View is active. I do however receive a warning that informs me that I need to switch Live View off in order to continue editing the page. Only alternative I can think of is that you might try and add the Form Variable while having the CSS (or other related document) file open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 4:28 PM   in reply to jay1974php

even i HAVE the same problem. I am not able to see the form variables in the binding panel when I follow the tutorial from the lynda.com (6/19/2011)

Any help would be appreciated.

Document type: php

and I add the form vairable but it doesn't appear in the binding panel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to Jim Shepherd

I also added an empty php code block at the very top of the page and still don't see the form vairbales in the binding panel. The simpleform2 is a php page.

Also in the binding panel I have a check mark on and it says the document type:php

1. create a site for this file

2. choose a document type

3. set up the site testing server

but not

4. press the + button and choose the record set

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 4:28 AM   in reply to jagvar1982

Just follow the tips explained above, should you still have problems, re-install Dreamweaver and try again. Still not working? Set up a completely new site while you still have this document open, make sure you create it as a PHP and that the file is saved as .php + the presence of PHP code within the code. Still not working? Ask Adobe to fix you up with a patch.

Sorry, but that is all I got, I have tried your example over and over again and everytime they are solved by making sure that the files are created with proper file extensions, site is setup and the presence of PHP code within the document. It works 100% of the times for me and I can even reverse it so that it fails if I remove the PHP code, then the Bindings fail to give me the Form Variable options again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to Jim Shepherd

I decided to write to Lynda.com.  This is their response.

Since reviewing their response I created a new site with a fresh copy of the exercices files.  Basically nothing is changed for me.  I still get the same problem. 'Form Variables' are not working on my installation.  Is there a way to reinstall only the form variables extension to dreamweaver?

The  author responded to your question. He states that the answer is in the  FAQ section of the course. I have posted the FAQ below.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Q: The Bindings panel is disabled, and I can't create new queries or form variables in the current PHP file. How can I correct this problem?

A: This indicates that the file you have open isn't a part of your current site. For example, you might have opened a file from one site, then switched sites and tried to continue working on the same file. Try closing all files, then opening the file you want to work on from the Files panel. This ensures that the current file and site are in sync.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 1:27 PM   in reply to meluctrue

I read that FAQ from lynda yesterday. What the author is talking here refers to syncronization problem. Not the binding panel.

Yes if you define a file in one site and trying running the same file in another site then there will be a syn problem and dreamweavre is good to letting u know tht immediately.

From Yesterday

1. I created a new site and pointed my local site folder to chapter 6 exercise (06 forms)

2. I gave my local testing folder details.

3. And opened simpleform2.php file and tried adding teh form variables ---> didn't work

Double Checking from Toda :-

I created a new site and created a new form and embedded this new table inside the form. Now after that I tried to add the form variables in the binding panel and it worked. So I guess for some reason the tutorial in chapter 6 simpleform2.php is not allowing to add the form variables but the regular .php files are able to..

So i think the problem pertains only to this tutorial.

thanks

Siva

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 3:49 PM   in reply to jagvar1982

Hello everyone,

I went back and created a new site and I was able to get the 'Form Variables' working.

Finally..

Thank you to all who contributed to this question.

It seems like Dreamweaver is very fickle about this set up for some reason and now, at least, I know the problem is a configuration issue and in this case this is not a software issue.

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to meluctrue

I have been working through this tutorial as well, and have run into the same issue.  Tried all the suggested fixes, no luck.  Wrote to lynda.com and received the same response, initially, that the author addresses the problem in the FAQ and quoted the same answer.  I responded to the technician that this did not fix the issue, and that there were people on this forum who all have the same problem.  the technician responded immediately and said he would pass the information on to the author and ask him to address it.

I'm going to move on through the rest of the tutorial, but figured I would still let them know that there is an issue.  I can keep moving in the series without this one piece working for me, but I did spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I had done wrong so that I could learn from it--and it turned out not to be me (this time)...so I figured it might be helpful for the next "student' if they can fix the issue.  I hope they do.  I still consider lynda.com to be an invaluable resource.

Thanks everyone for posting on this issue, it at least let me know I needed to move on.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Micja

I can report that the same issue is resident in CS6 - v12.0 Build 5842

I am pretty experienced in using Dreamweaver since it was Macromedia. This is odd indeed that the Lynda.com files are doing this. Guess I will skip this myself. If anyone gets a clue what is up, post it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to jay1974php

Delete the ".mno" document under the ( \_notes ) folder. Just the "no name" document with the .mno extension will suffice.

You will be able to create those form variable afterwards.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Micja

I am working on this tutorial as well with the same problem. I am going to try to redefine the site. It's frustrating because this is the one piece on my own website that I am trying to figure out how to do;create a contact form without opening outlook. I am new to all of this, and have spent countless hours on trying to figure out how to create this. Hours on Lynda.com, which I love, but must admit this is quite frustrating. Just when I  thought I would figure it out, this piece on the tutorial is not functioning properly!  Technology is great when it works, and drives me crazy when it malfunctions!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to jay1974php

Just make sure that your WAMP server is running.

Go to the WAMP server panel and restart the services (if its already on).

make sure you relaunch the DW and then check the binding panel.

Thanks

Harshit 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to getvma

Thank you thank you thank you removing the .mno fixed it for me

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to MICHELE/DEBBIE

Hi,

Copy and paste the sourc code here! Binding can only be achieved when a form structure is initiated! This form must also be one from PHP document type. Your bindings will not appear when your extension page is also not of PHP. Effectively binding is binding  screen input variables to database - table fields.

My assumption you have already declared and created your database and table structure! You have a PHP extension document type. You have a form structured on your page. If it is not just insert> form from the drop down or toolbar form icon.

I will wait for your reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to jay1974php

The Getvma user has the correct Answer!!! Go to where your files are stored, C:  drive or usb flash, go to the forms 06 folder, look for the notes folder and delete the .mno. Then it wil work fine, this file is like a lock for the files or conflicts with the files. Anyway, this will work and send you onto your next lesson! cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to jay1974php

Problem still there. Using CS6 12.0 Build 5861

I tried following getvma and shazam14cpu's advice but I can't find a no name (.mno) file in that the /_notes folder. Maybe it was taken out within an update, but it's not that there and I'm still having to deal with the problem.

There are 6 files in the folder that are LABELED with (.php) at the end, but are actually of type (.mno)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to NZondlo

Nevermind, it's hidden in Windows! Problem solved!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points