Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can "swipe" page navigation be supressed?

Jun 22, 2011 9:17 AM

We recently published a children's book using the Adobe DPS suite. We've had great feedback for the most part, but several professional app reviewers had several usability issues with the platform, specifically the menu system and sensitivity of swiping from side to side to go through pages.

They were kind enough not to give us a review at all, since it would have been negative from their perspective.

They stated that if we were to fix these technical issues, they would give us an excellent review.

Having spent a lot of money on the effort, reviews from pro sites like 148 apps  are critical in making apps and magazines commercially successful.

So, my questions to Adobe (some of them repeats from last year's pre-release program)

• Can side to side navigation be turned off, enabling the developer to control the navigation in a .folio?
  • Can the way the menu system is invoked be altered? Some ideas:
    • press and hold to invoke the menu
    • double tap to invoke the menu
    • reserve an area (top left, for example) for invoking the menu
    • anything BUT single tapping, since IMO this is the gesture should be reserved for interactive elements, not core navigation.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

The answer is no to all of that. You can put an invisible button on top of everything to suppress the single tap for the menu but other than that, it is what it is.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

This is a bit of a workaround, but if you create an invisible overlay (not multi-object state) that fills the entire page but otherwise does nothing (e.g. empty non-interactive HTML in a page-sized frame), you will be unable to swipe to another page.

But then you'd be locked out of all the other interactivity too. Hmm.

Ali

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 9:31 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

These changes to the ui would be essential for creating better experiences

for non-magazine stuff. I strongly support your requests.

with that adobe dps would fix many of the complaints from industry,

technicans and thinkers.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 4:28 PM   in reply to JuergenBerk

Hey Juergen,

if you are really desperate to disable horizontal swipe, you can put huge object on your pages that will catch the horizontal swipe, like a pan and zoom. and put a transparent image in it wich is just a pixel wider than it's container. That will catch the swipe and will not swipe the page in the end.

Your interactive buttons can go on top. However, you can swipe using the buttons.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 4:59 PM   in reply to JuergenBerk

As I understand it, this also covers HTML webcontents. The important thing

is, that is has to be scroll-able, so content needs to be wider than the

viewer frame.

A pan-only-overlay is just a webpage generated by indesign, displayed in a

webcontent container.

This catches horizontal swipes and keeps them after reaching it's own end.

Not for vertical swipes: when the end of an HTML file is reached, any

additional swipe will trigger the next-page-event.

I articles in my magazines where the reader basicly hits a "dead end"

article, where he cannot swipe along to get to the next article.

The desktop previewer is behaving differently. So this sounds more like a

bug/strange behaviour.

I know your crankamacallit. It is awesome how much workarounds you put in

there. I just hit everything to see how you did this and that ,-)

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to JuergenBerk

Has anyone tried this lately or come across a new work around? I tried several methods with buttons and underlying objects and it always swipes.

I would like users to be stopped at the end of an article where I have some navigation buttons taking them to another article, back to the index, or to the library. I also want readers to not be able to scroll "back" from the first page of each article. We are creating apps for collections of stories and they are not sequential.

Keith

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to keithGSR

Me too. I really think that if we create nav buttons and suppress all kind of effects like horizontal swiping and vertical bump effect it will greatly enhanced the usability. During our tests many people are confused what they can do and where are they going in the app.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

I like a lot of the suggestions in here. But in thinking about what the tools can do, could you create the entire book as a MSO and then load that onto one page? Then you wouldnt have multiple pages, and you could create MSO navigation buttons. I dont know the extent of what is on your pages but it was just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to keithGSR

Also think this is a great idea. What was the final verdict here? was the work around successful?

I have a similar situation here. I tried putting transparent PNG in a container and turned on scrollable frame but I can still swipe to the next page....Not consistently but still swipes???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Well, what if you create the entire page as a scrollable frame ie. paste all of the content into another frame (which is the same size as the page) and create a scrollable frame overlay, then upload the article as a PDF, the swipe to next page won't work (I've been having your problem in reverse!). You could then have navto buttons inside the scrollable frame to navigate. Just a thought...

Incidentally, I know that the swipe to next page is a problem with scrollable frames when uploading the article as a PDF, and the workaround was to upload as PNG, but this doesn't seem to work either. Anyone else having this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to marcbackwell

Ok I guess that works...except that it covers up the pinch and zoom scrollable content that is apart of the design....Hmm wonder if there is a layering solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

in the v22 webinar I saw a little glimpse in the layout of amit Guptas

folio saying "User:Interaction enabled", so there might be somehow a

feature later — but that's a bold rumor.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Is there an updat on this? Now in v23 can we disable page swipe?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to SFS-DPS

No, it isn't available in v23 and likely won't be added in the next few releases.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to marcbackwell

interactive elements, such as scrollable frames no longer seem to be "dead spots" in terms of swipe navigation in a PDF format. Though when you zoom into text that has no fill in the text box, this changes to a white background as soon as you zoom which does not look pretty. This is V23 by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to mobly

I am also having the same issue as mobly, has anyone had any breakthroughs or updates recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

I also would like to request a feature to disable horizontal/vertical swiping so that developers can use their own navigation. I agree that this feature is essential for developers using DPS outside of the magazine/publishing industry.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to tara330

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works! I create quite a lot of non magazine style apps, and don't mind the swipe to next page!

Still I can see it could be useful for some :-)

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to tara330

Tara330 was nice enough to open a feature request for this here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4811389#4811389

Please respond with your thoughts if you also support this addition!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points