Skip navigation
doggles
Currently Being Moderated

Slow panels in InDesign CS6

Jul 31, 2012 12:53 PM

Tags: #indesign #cs6 #panels #retina #mountain_lion

Hi,

Has anyone else having problems with the panels on the right hand side of the screen on InDesign CS6? They're extremely unresponsive when collapsed and if clicked cause the spinning rainbow beachball to appear.

I'm using a brand new retina Macbook Pro 2.3 ghz 8GB with mountain lion.

It seemed to fix itself after the last Firmware update for the retina pro but reverted back to slowing down again today.

Any ideas/solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to doggles

Yes, I'm having this problem too. Except, on a 2010 Mac Pro. Best temporary fix I can find is to not collapse any panels you will need open. Annoying, still looking for a permanent solution as well, will let you know if I find anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to chrismcobble

No problems with InDesign CS6 on an iMac with Mountain Lion so far and I've been using it quite a lot. I've had such a good experience with ML, I'll probably install it on my primary machine, a MacBook Pro, in a week or two.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to doggles

I have the same problem with panels in inDesign CS6, only after upgrading to Mountain Lion (worked fine in Lion). When the panels are not expanded, hovering over the panel options and opening them is very lagged and slow (making them completely unreasonable to work with). The only workaround I've found thus far is to leave them expanded, as chrismcobble noted -- which is okay when working on a large monitor but not so great when working on a 13" screen. Needs fix!

I'm using a brand new, upgraded-to-the-max Macbook Air (which is non-retina), 2.0 ghz with 8GB memory, running Mountain Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to jvlahos22

This could be a bug, an interaction of running Mountain Lion and the new Macs (Air, MBP Retina) with CS6.

There was an earlier bug of crashing with the new Macs on CS6 with the fix here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes .html

I have no such problems with ML and  CS6  but I don't  have one of the new Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I'm running Mountain Lion and CS6 on my MacBook Pro with Retina Display and have not had any of the problems mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to doggles

Any chance anyone wants to try to cross-check and isolate this problem more specifically? Curious what kind of setup chrismcobble has for example, since the problem interestingly also occured on a 2010 Mac Pro. I know leaving the panels open is a temporary workable fix, but I'd prefer to have a fully functioning application if possible.

- July 2012 MacBook Air

- 256GB SSD

- 2.0gHz Intel Core i7

- 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

- Mountain Lion

- inDesign CS6

- Downloaded via Creative Cloud

- Problem began after upgrade to ML, did not occur in Lion

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to jvlahos22

Things to try:

* Restore InDesign preferences

* Restart with Shift key held down to disable third-party add-ons

* If you migrated your files from another Mac, you might have migrated something which caused the problem, so see if it happens in another Mac OS X user account

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to jvlahos22

I have practically an identical set up with the exception of two things:

1.       I have the i5

2.       I did a clean install of Mountain Lion.

I’m having no issues at all here, so far.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to doggles

Yes, I'm having the same problem.

I've had some luck getting it to go away by turning off startup items, etc etc — the problem doesn't occur if I start up in Mac OS X Safe mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to ctsgrx

ctsgrx wrote:

Yes, I'm having the same problem.

I've had some luck getting it to go away by turning off startup items, etc etc — the problem doesn't occur if I start up in Mac OS X Safe mode.

That's a sure sign that you have software installed which is conflicting with InDesign. Starting in Safe mode disables third-party software.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to doggles

Disabling Hiss and restarting did the trick for me also. Panels didn't respond correctly until post restart.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to boymonster877

Hiss was indeed the problem for me, too. I disabled it and restarted, and all is back to normal.

Thanks all!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to doggles

Hiss was the problem for me too. Thanks everybody.

After disabling Hiss, I find that InDesign CS6 actually runs much better on Mountain Lion than it did on Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to doggles

Very useful! I had the same problem but I was sure that it wasn't related to the Mountain Lion upgrade!

Disabled Hiss and ID works well again!

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to doggles

Disabled Hiss and ID works like before the problem occured!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to erikdijk

Same for me : the problem was Hiss. I'm reporting this in Hiss development forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to guzabi

Glad for this thread. Was having the same trouble today and couldn't put a finger on it. Disabled Hiss and things are back in business.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points