Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How Can I Do a Motion Picture Poster Credit Block?

Aug 7, 2012 2:35 PM

Is there an "automated" way using styles (or something) to create a motion picture poster credit block? Typical of the formatting is for an artistic task to be stacked on two lines flush right to the name that follows which is the height of the two stacked lines. So you might have execuive producer 10/9 flush right Univers 39 with the producer's name 22 pt. But immediatelly following that on the same visual line you might have directed by on two lines followed by the director's name. The way I am doing it now, each name is it's own little "production" requiring extra spaces to line things up visually and the constant use of baseline shift. There's gotta be a better way.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 7, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to homeboy4

Usually it's done with 2 tabs, one before the first name and one after. The first tab is right aligned and the second is left aligned

Screen shot 2012-08-07 at 7.46.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-08-07 at 7.47.08 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Rob Day

I think he's talking about the lobby posters, not the rolling credits. I'd probably set up tables for that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to homeboy4

That was not a new feature in InDesign CS6. I agree that Illustrator probably makes sense for that kind of project.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to homeboy4

The way I am doing it now, each name is it's own little "production" requiring extra spaces to line things up visually and the constant use of baseline shift. There's gotta be a better way.

Sorry for not carefully reading your post. I suspect Peter's right that you'll need some kind of table or repeated text boxes. But you can get a list item stacked using a variation of the right left tab example I posted and avoid lining things up with spaces and baseline shifts or creating a complex table. This could be done with two nested styles and then just step and repeat the text box:

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 10.51.10 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 10.51.37 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points