Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LINKING TEXT

Aug 8, 2012 7:50 AM

Hello,

I have a vertical layout and a horizontal layout. Bothe have Identical MSO that have text blocks. How can I link the the identical text the the two text blocks in each of the MSOs?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

If you have InDesign CS6, you can use the Content Collector tool to set up a link between the layouts. With InDesign CS5/5.5, it's more difficult, but you link text with a workaround. See this article:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2010/12/sharing-text-between-two-i ndesign-documents.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Have you tried linking text using the Content Collector tool or Alternate Layouts?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Since you are in cs6 I recommend using the alternate layouts feature to get this. Design your horizontal layout, then generate an alternate layout in the same Indesign document to get a vertical layout with the text linked automatically.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

If you want to link only the text but not the MSO, try removing the text frame from the MSO. Then use the CC tool to copy/link only the text frame, and then add the text frames back to the MSOs in both layouts.  I haven't tried this yet. Let us know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Try using the Add button in the Object States panel to add the text frame to the state. You need to have both the text frame and the MSO selected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points