Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Content Viewer from V22 not working

Aug 7, 2012 2:06 PM

I want to quickly report that I just build a v22 content viewer (v2.7.0.17.56182) and many items in my library are not working: I cannot open folios with the "View" button, nothing is happening.

Some that I can open (only 1 of 20) only shows the first page.

These are folios that are comming from the server, not direct preview.

Also, downloading new folios is not working "Cannot connect to server at this time", wich might be just because of the ongoing server update?

—Johannes

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 7, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I'll find out if this is a temporary problem caused by the updates or a problem with the Viewer Builder. Thanks for reporting.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 7, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes - I built a custom Adobe Content Viewer and it worked fine for me. I deleted the previous version first, synced, and then loaded it. Can you try that and let me know if it works for you?

I think you're confusing hot zones with two-finger swiping. Hot Zones are enabled in Viewer Builder, and they let you tap the edge of the page to move to the next or previous article. Two-finger swiping is enabled for all v22 viewers and lets you jump across pages in a flattened stack.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 12:13 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Dear Bob,

I have exact the same problems as Johannes.

• Hotzones are not working for me at all in my custom viewer (also tried with App uninstalled from iPad and deleted in iTunes). Another updated App works fine for the moment.
    • Some Folios will not open when clicking on view. This happens in the custom viewer and in the updated App (until complete reinstall and redownload of the folios). This needs a hotfix. We can't write in the AppStore that the consumer has to completely reinstall the App. I'm not sure but I think Apple will not allow this at all? Not even to think about the download count

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I'll ask around. Thanks for reporting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Regarding previously downloaded folios not Viewing, please help in confirming a few things.

Here are my assumptions:

1. In a previous version of a custom viewer you download several folios.
    2. All folios can be viewed.
    3. You build a v22 version of the custom viewer with the same viewer attributes.
    4. You drag-and-drop the viewer into iTunes, which replaces the previous version in the iTunes library.
    5. You sync to your iPad, which replaces the previous version on your iPad.
    6. You launch, and tap view on all folios. Some view without issue, some do not view at all.

Do these set of steps accurately reflect what you are seeing?

Also, which previous version were you using? v21, v20? Something earlier?

Second, for the folios that cannot be viewed is there any pattern or attribute that you can think of that may cause the issue?

Are these folios "Retail" or "Free"?

Prior to app upgrade were they in a fully downloaded state, or were they in progress at the time of upgrade?

For the folios that do not view, had they been in the Library for several days/weeks/months?

I ask these questions because internally we've tried a number of upgrade scenarios and have not reproduced the problem yet, so your help in helping us understand what conditions might trigger the problem is greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes, I'm unfamiliar with the process of updating an app through Safari. Can you share a pointer on how to do this so we can try it out?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

Hi Nathan,

In a previous version of a custom viewer you download several folios.

Yes

All folios can be viewed.

Yes

You build a v22 version of the custom viewer with the same viewer attributes.

Yes, but not just a custom viewer. Also a developer build of a multi-folio App

You drag-and-drop the viewer into iTunes, which replaces the previous version in the iTunes library.

For the custom viewer, I used drag&drop with replacement of the App before.

The developer build was not anymore in the iTunes Library but still installed on the iPad.

You sync to your iPad, which replaces the previous version on your iPad.

Yes

You launch, and tap view on all folios. Some view without issue, some do not view at all.

Yes

Do these set of steps accurately reflect what you are seeing?

Yes

Also, which previous version were you using? v21, v20? Something earlier?

Mixed. But mainly v21

The custom viewer had folios downloaded from the frontend Account and directly transfered from InDesign within the Folio Builder Panel

The dev build had only fully published folios

Second, for the folios that cannot be viewed is there any pattern or attribute that you can think of that may cause the issue?

I'm not sure anymore but I think that the folios that are WORKING are all these transfered directly from InDesign to the Viewer.

Are these folios "Retail" or "Free"?

Free

Prior to app upgrade were they in a fully downloaded state, or were they in progress at the time of upgrade?

fully downloaded

For the folios that do not view, had they been in the Library for several days/weeks/months?

mixed: at least days and weeks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Yves Apel - IC

Thanks Yves, are you also installing the application over the air using ad-hoc distribution?

Also, for the affected folios could you include a screenshot of the library and identify the folios in the state? Given that we haven't reproduced this internally I'm hoping a visual inspection can give us some clue as to what would cause this.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience as we try to work through this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Nathan Marroquin

Hi Nathan,

Thanks Yves, are you also installing the application over the air using ad-hoc distribution?

No, we have the pro version of the ADPS Tools. There is no Enterprise Build available.

Also, for the affected folios could you include a screenshot of the library and identify the folios in the state? Given that we haven't reproduced this internally I'm hoping a visual inspection can give us some clue as to what would cause this.

I had already replaced the Custom Viewer with a reinstall. But there is a chance that there is another iPad of our production team, not yet updated with the latest version of custom viewer. I will let you know if I have some news. Is there an adress where I can send the screenshots, if any?

Did you try the following in your tests?: Create a custom viewer (v21) with an OLD VERSION of the Viewer Builder. Install it on the iPad. Download some published, non-published and directly transfered folios. Create then a new custom viewer (v22), with the latest version of the Viewer Builder. Update the new custom viewer on the iPad. This must result in the behaviour that Johannes and me were noticing.

I don't know when I can make tests to this problem. I'm currently battleing with the new found error "[Error: exportArticleFolio]" (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1046825?tstart=0) that is driving me crazy. I have to contact the gold support tomorrow as the customer wasn't amused that the presentation was not possible due to this errors and this is getting high priority.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Yves Apel - IC

Hi,

I found the time to test on another iPad that had the old content viewer installed (not that easy).

I created the update to the v22 custom viewer over iTunes.

Result: Some folios are working. Some not. They come from different accounts. They have been directly transfered from the folio builder or downloaded from digitalpublishing.acrobat.com. Mixed v20 and v21 folios.

The only thing that may be a common mark is that folios published before June seem working and folios published from beginning June aren't. It is possible that folios created with the v21 plugins are affected.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Yves Apel - IC

Hi Yves,

Thanks for the additional details. We will follow up on your theory regarding publishing time frame. I believe my own testing involved folios published in May, which may explain the success case.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points