Skip navigation
lostinbrooklyn
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS4 crashing on start up "Starting up panels"

Jul 26, 2012 4:19 PM

Tags: #cs4 #problem #error #crash #up #"starting #panels"

So, this issue began about a week ago, intermitant, but now all the time. May have occured after upgrading Adobe Flash, not sure.

When I lauhc InDesign CS4 (build 6.06, on OSX 10.5.8), it goes through the start up processes, but stalls (i.e. not reaponding dialog when I try to force quit) upon hitting "starting up panels."

I have thrown out the prefs, reisntalled Flash and Air...and deinstalled INDD and reinstalled it and run the 6.06 upgrade.

It now launches (not every time), but take 5-10 mins to load a file?

Outside of reinstalling the entire CS4 suite, any clues?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

I think this may be SING, but it would help to have a crash report (posted on pastebin.com). This sounds like a hang, though, not a crash, so we need to ask you to follow a set of directions to generate boththe hang report and a crash report from the hang. Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4199358#4199358

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

Does not look like SING, after all, but it does look like it has something to do with Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

It looks like Flash PLAYER, not the full Flash app, that's the problem, but that's way outside my comfort zone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

I suspect the best bet is to open a support case (and you may have to pay, but if they find a bug, they should refund your money).

I was hoping to find something on the website better than the number that gets you the contract folks in India, but I can't seem to. Start with 800-833-6687, get a case number (and a name for anyone you speak to), and ask to be escalated to someone who knows something. Don't let the first rep tell you they will call you back.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

I'VE FIXED THE ISSUE! I can't guarantee it will work, but it worked perfectly for me.

1. Copy a file specific to a CS4 program such as a PSD, AI, or INDD to a flash drive or external drive

2. Create a New User Account on your Mac -- Here's How to create a new account (don't worry, you won't have to migrate your files...)

3. Log out as the original user and log in as the New User you just created.

4. Open your CS4 program and the file you saved to your Flash Drive/External Hard Drive and make sure it works perfectly (if it doesn't, then it's not a preference issue and unfortunately this may not fix your problem...)

5. If all CS4 programs work perfectly, navigate to the "/Users/[user name]/Library" folder on the New User Account (should be less than 5MB on a new account) and copy/paste onto your Flash Drive/ External Hard Drive

6. Log out of the New Account and log back into your Original Account

7. This part gets a little tricky... locate these folders one by one on your flash drive/external hard drive, copy ALL the files within the folder, navigate to the these folders on your Mac's Hard Drive and paste them in place (repeat for all 3 folders)

• /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences
    • /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe
    • /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe

After all files from all 3 folders listed above were pasted in place from the External Hard Drive to my Mac's Hard Drive, all of my CS4 programs worked like a dream! I'm not sure how this is different from resetting preferences, but my guess is that a file was corrupted and it somehow was duplicated when I reset my preferences.

I really hope this works for you guys!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

@lostinbrooklyn: I'm sorry that didn't fix the problem. Best of luck in your search! If I come across anything, I'll be sure to post!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

Waht other programs/utilities are you running? Lots of reports of trouble with HISS for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

What version of Suitcase Fusion?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

I recommend upgrading to version 4. There’s a free trial available.

Or…turn off autoactivation.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to lostinbrooklyn

lostinbrooklyn wrote:

The only background apps that are on all the time are Suitcase Fusion, DropBox, Norton QuickMenu, Spyder3 Utility (for color corection on my Eizo monitor) and Now Up to Date/Now Contact. Otherwise normal graphic design/web design apps, so CS4, BB edit, Fetch, Filezilla, Word...

Browsers: Firefox, Thunderbird

Chat: Skype

Again, the only major updates to my machine have been Adobe Flash Player and a Microsoft Office update.

Try tuning ALL of those off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points