Skip navigation
Dcento410
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 - Mosaic Effect

Aug 8, 2012 7:23 AM

Hi. I have a video where I want to apply the mosaic effect as an inverse (i.e I want the center of my video to be clear but the outside surroundings to be mosaic). I work at a company where we can not take people on our produciton floor so we are showing them a video of our process and I want to put the mosaic around the proprietary areas in the video.

I can not figure out how to do this and have search endlessly online with no luck. Is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Dcento410

You got my curiosity up and I tried a couple of things.   One sort of worked.

I loaded a clip to the timeline.  I put the same clip on it again with "picture in picture".  I could then apply the mosaic to the entire first clip on vidio 1 and the smaller picture on video 2 stayed clear. 

It would work better if you got tight shots of the process for the second clip.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Dcento410

This article will tell you basically what you need to do: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390834?tstart=0

In that article, I show how to use Track Matte Keying to affect a portion of the Frame. In your case, you want to apply the Effect (Mosaic) to the majority of the Frame, but leave a portion free. In the article we used Blur on the duplicate of the Clip, and then limited it to just the area of the Track Matte Key. In your case, just change the Clips positions - the Mosaic will now be on Video Track 1, and the "clear" Clip will be on Video Track 2. The Track Matte will be on Video Track 3, with the Clip on Video Track 2, linked to that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

Your technique is impressive.  I was able to track through your article and got it at every point until I had to click the "little diamond".   It was nowhere to be found.  I looked around and found "show clip keyframes".  Mine was not checked.

It will be fun having this arrow in my quiver!

Thanks.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to whsprague

For Keyframing Effects, whether they are the Fixed Effects, like Motion>Position (used to "track" with the Matte), or an added Effect, like say Crop, I find it easier to work in the Effects Control Panel, accessed by clicking Edit Effects from the Effects Tab, with the Clip Selected. There, you can toggle Keyframing ON/OFF, and with it ON, can then add Keyframes to animate the Effect over time. When working in the Effects Control Panel, I turn ON the little Timeline, to locate my Keyframes.

Some users like to work in the Clip Keyframes in the Timeline, but I like the complete control of the Effects Control Panel.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Dcento410

Dcento410 wrote:

Hi. I have a video where I want to apply the mosaic effect as an inverse (i.e I want the center of my video to be clear but the outside surroundings to be mosaic). I work at a company where we can not take people on our produciton floor so we are showing them a video of our process and I want to put the mosaic around the proprietary areas in the video.

I can not figure out how to do this and have search endlessly online with no luck. Is this possible?

I may have found an "easy" way, except it costs money.  NewBlue, Inc makes plug ins.  They have one called "Selective Focus".  The demo video shows them doing what you want with massive blurring instead of choppy mosaics.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points