Skip navigation
KimberHeineman
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with converting psd file to jpeg

Aug 8, 2012 2:13 PM

Tags: #photoshop_cs6

I have completed a project with lots of layers and saved as a psd file including all the layers. I then flatten the image and save it as a jpeg. The jpeg doesnot look at all like the original psd.

this is the only file I have ever had that has done this. no other files are currently doing it. Just this one important days to complete file.

I work with Mac OS 10.6.8 Photoshop CS6 - Raw file to begin with. Never had this issue.

Anyone have any ideas.

I tried taking it into Cs5 and it did the same thing.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

Hi

What does the jpeg look like? How is it different from the original psd file?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 8, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

post the psd and jpeg you will need to upload the psd file and post a lonk to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to JJMack

Depending upon your blending modes and if you are using layer groups with pass through or other  -  shall give you different results when flattened.

The work around is to merge down or try and merge a set of visiable layer groups to see where the issue is happening.  There is nothing you can do about it except fight it until resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

what if you flatten image first? it looks the same as the jpg? if yes, go with Mike's suggestion, but watch carefully every merge down

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

How are you saving the JPG file?

Save As?

Save for Web?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

even by saving with the maximum quality? (12)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

what if you save to PNG?

do you have dropbox? or give us some way to download and see the files?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

click on it with the right button is a copy public link option, or in the dropbox page is the same option that shows a public download adress

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Fede Gianni

What you can try and do is this -

Save the Layered PSD or Tif file to your drive - then open the file by double clicking on it and at the same time hold down the option and shift keys -  at the same time.  This forces Photoshop to open the flat version of the file - granted that you saved the image with composite data.

See what the flat file looks like at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

im glad to read that, you make me win my +, thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to KimberHeineman

Hi, I editeda b&w jpeg image to add/create color in some places by adding and playing with layers/curves and all and it automatically saved as a PSD now I can't get it to go back to jpeg so I can upload it. It won't even let me save for web. I'm not an advanced user at all so if someone could help, that'd be great. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

The JPEG format does not support layers.  Save a copy of your file and then flatten it.  Now you can save ii as a JPEG.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to station_two

save a copy how?

I went back and re edited the original jpeg again, and then flattened it, and when I went to save it, when it prompted me to save it as a psd I scrolled down and chose JPEG 2000 as it was the only jpeg option, now I can't open it anywhere...I'm extrememly frustrated!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

If you don't know how to save a copy, you are brand new to computers, not just to Photoshop.

With your file open, go to the File menu and select "Save As..." to give the copy you are creating a new name.  That's all it takes.

Then flatten the file, make sure the image is in RGB color and 8-bit mode, then save.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to station_two

No I mis read what you were saying, that or YOU mis read the fact that in the post above that comment I said it won't let me open the file now that I saved it as JPEG 2000.

So basically I need to start ALL over from the original image and do all the layering edits again but this time after I flattened it change it back to RGB then the SAVE AS feature will work?

Cause once I even create one channel/layer it won't let me choose the SAVE AS option.

I'm not new to photoshop at all I've been using it for many years, I've just never done any big edits that required layers/channels.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

courtneybrannen12 wrote:

...Cause once I even create one channel/layer it won't let me choose the SAVE AS option...

That would be unheard of.  Just doesn't happen.

There must be something else at play you are not telling us.

One should be able to do an infinite number of "Save As" operations.

courtneybrannen12 wrote:

...So basically I need to start ALL over from the original image and do all the layering edits again...

That's why I told you to SAVE A COPY to work on BEFORE flattening it.                                                                                                                           

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Then flatten the file, make sure the image is in RGB color and 8-bit mode, then save.

There's no need to flatten the document before saving as JPEG. Also, if a user wants a grayscale or CMYK JPEG then they'd better not change the doc to RGB.

The document can be flat or multi-layered, 8-bit or 16-bit per channel, and grayscale, RGB or CMYK.

File > Save As... JPEG will automatically save a flattened 8-bit image in grayscale, RGB or CMYK as appropriate, without altering the original document.

File > Save For Web... JPEG will automatically save a flattened 8-bit RGB image without altering the original document.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 8, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

Please capture your screen showing the state of affairs of everything at the point where you're seeing the problem.  That's the best way to ensure everyone understands exactly what you're seeing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

If you take the trouble to install the optional JPEG2000 plug-i you should be able to open your JPEG2000 file.

Alternatively, you can post a link to your file, and I or other fellow contributors will be happy to re-save it as a plain JPEG all over again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

courtneybrannen12 wrote:

...So basically I need to start ALL over from the original image and do all the layering edits again...

That's why I told you to SAVE A COPY to work on BEFORE flattening it.                                                                                                                            

You shouldn't have told anybody to flatten their document. JPEG output flattens on the fly while the original document is preserved as layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to conroy

conroy2009,

Your post is framed as a response to me, so here we go:

I fully realize there are all those other functionalities and possibilities, even though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool JPEG hater and at-all-costs-avoider.  What happened here is that I, wrongly or rightly, gauged the poster to be a rank beginner and gave him what I considered to be the fastest and safest solution.

Alas, it turned out not to be fool proof.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to conroy

Had s/he followed my suggestion, her/his original file would be intact.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:32 PM   in reply to station_two

My dad took some maternity pictures of me, he took majority in B&W I wanted to make certain parts in color only so I watched a youtube tutorial to add color to a B&W he said to convert to a CMYK so I did, I continued to follow his instructions step by step. He just didn't mention that when it would save it would save as a PSD so I didn't even know abt that format until AFTER it happened. So I began to look up how to convert from PSD to JPEG...every forum I saw I tried what they suggested to no avail. I then went back to the original JPEG image, RE DID the edits, only this time when I went to save (as the SAVE AS feature truly isn't working, I can click it and click it, even use the shortcute keys...nothing happens) I scrolled down, chose the JPEG 2000 selection cause a forum said to chose JPEG when it pops up PSD, I didn't realize that it was different than a reg JPEG format and now it won't open even in cs6 it says NOT ENOUGH RAM and IDK why. So I've now gone yet again to the original JPEG, switched it to CMYK did all the edits again, I am now done editing, only this time I'm going to have someone tell me what to do next as it's still JPEG, 8bits chanel and I have NOT flattened it....what do I need to do next in order to insure it saves as a jpeg so I am able to upload it online?

I am not sure how to do screen shots or I would love to take them so someone can see exactly what I see. IDK if it matters but I am using the trial version of cs6, I was trying to get used to it some before I upgraded from cs5 extended.

If someone can instruct me as to how to post a link to the image so someone else could edit it then I'd be glad to do so.

I'm not an idiot...everyone started out a beginner at some point and I happen to be not as advanced as others...I see no fault in that, I am a 25 yr old woman who is busy as a working at home mom so forgive me if I can't invest a lot of time into learning a new program as quickly as I would like.

Thanks to anyone who can and is willing to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two,

I think you're still missing the point that there's no need to flatten a document for output to JPEG because Photoshop will flatten the output on the fly while the layers are preserved in the original document.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to station_two

I had already had the file saved as JPEG 2000 by the time you posted a response, and at that point...like I've stated MULTIPLE times...it was too late to try what you'd suggested as it wouldn't even open the file anymore. There really is no need at all for the attitude here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to conroy

No, I'm fully conscious of that functionality in Save for Web.  I use it all the time when forced to generate a JPEG.

It was in this particular case, in which I felt the guy was having undue problems, that I felt the safest way was to save the PSD file, then Save a Copy, and then flatten the copy.  If that had been done, the final result would have been attained in seconds.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to station_two

I'm not a dude, guys aren't named COURTNEY!

but regardless, IDK why the SAVE AS function isn't working on my trial version, maybe I got a bad download cause even when I am trying to SAVE AS diff pics that all I did was crop them, it still won't work. I know how to use the SAVE AS option, however I click it...nothing happens, nothing pops up...just nothing!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to courtneybrannen12

courtneybrannen12 wrote:

I had already had the file saved as JPEG 2000 by the time you posted a response, and at that point...like I've stated MULTIPLE times...it was too late to try what you'd suggested as it wouldn't even open the file anymore...

THAT part was missing until just now.

And you never saved your multi-layered original? ???? 

That bizarre possibility never even crossed my mind.

Still, had you followed my instruction to save a copy...

But your JPEG200 file can be opened by any user who has the JPEG2000 plug-in installed.  Just post a link to it (tom, etc).hrough Dropbox, yousendit.c

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points