Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting a clean mov export for Davinci Resolve from Premiere CS6.

Aug 8, 2012 5:31 AM

Hi,  I'm using Premiere SC6 on windows 7, 64bit with m2t HDV video files.  I've tried every export codec but when I import the exported file back into Premiere, and compare it with the original, there is always some quality loss.  I'm just wondering what other people are doing about getting a decent export?

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to transendental

Every export to a compressed format causes a generation loss. The only way to avoid that is to export uncompressed or to a visually lossless format like UT or Lagarith.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to transendental

How did you export to uncompressed? Please give as much details as you can.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to transendental

Format: Quicktime.

Forget about QuiRcktime, use AVI (uncompressed). Never use QuiRcktime on a Windows machine if you can avoid it. Not only does it cause serious gamma shifts, but it also robs PR from its 64 bit nature, reverting to 32 bit processing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to transendental

Don't use "Uncompressed".  When you select the Quicktime codec, choose

"None".  The Uncompressed flavors are for use with third-party hardware

like Aja or BlackMagic.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to transendental

I have tried AVI(uncompressed), with all the variations, and that still gives loss of quality.

I question that observation.  How are you determining the loss of quality?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to transendental

Can you post a screen shot?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to transendental

Which MXF's did you try? The DNxHD MXF is what it supports. BTW an export option to Cinema DNG would be real nice for this and other workflows. Hint Hint Adobe

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to ECBowen

We are always looking at which codecs people are using and which we should include. 

Hint Hint works alot better here -- https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to transendental

Download and install this http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/en423319

I believe the DNxHD is under the QuickTime list

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to transendental

I was just giving out our feature request link for those people asking for additional codecs. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to transendental

DPX is pretty standard to use in CC applications such as Resolve and Speedgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to transendental
    Jim: here are the screen shots:

Very strange.

Try this.  Export out a TIFF, Targa, PNG or other lossless image file format of the same frame from each clip; original and Uncompressed.  Bring those stills into Photoshop and use the eyedropper on the same section of image.  I'm curious what the numbers will show.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to transendental

transcendental, a couple of questions come to mind:

Is your footage:

1) shot progressive or interlaced?

2) captured from HDV tape or ingested from memory cards? (if captured, it could be interpreted as interlaced when it's really not)

3) matching your sequence settings? (program monitor may not show inconsistencies, but an export will)

If what you mean by quality loss is that little blur we see in the screenshots, I think your problem has nothing to do with the codec used. It might be caused by field dominance not being interpreted correctly, a field-order mismatch between footage and sequence, or stretching from anamorphic HDV to full-frame HD.

--------------

Neil Bastin

Post-Production Director

Jam Media Producers, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Neil_CBR

P.S. Looks like the gamma is shifting as well.

Echoing the suggestion to check field dominance, and also to create DPX files if they're going into Resolve.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to transendental

I wonder if these differences are large enough to notice. Sure there are marginal differences, but since figures are presented as integers, I wonder if the internal reporting might be something like B: 90.51 versus 90.49 and Y: 79.49 and 79.51 and thus too small to notice. Notice these figures might also be B: 91.49 versus 89.51 and Y: 78.51 versus 80.49. I do think these figures differ so little as to have no discernible impact on the picture quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to transendental

Those Photoshop results tell a very different story about the "degradation" you're seeing.  The most likely explanation here is that PP just isn't showing you the images perfectly accurately (something I've been saying for a long time) and there's nothing actually degraded about the Uncompressed file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to transendental

I agree with Jim. Sometimes what you see in the Premiere program monitor has to be taken as a grain of salt. Too many factors affect the realtime preview. Follow Harm Millaard's advice on players but here's another tip: you may also bring the AVI into Premiere, load it up in the Source Monitor and turn on the scopes. Compare the readings with the scopes on the Program Monitor. Much better than trusting your own eyes.

Also, if you plan on using DNxHD as an intermediate codec in Windows, others have recommended 10-bit RGB color space when exporting to Resolve. Just be careful with gamma shifts. Again, if in doubt, use the scopes.

All in all, if quality is your priority and you need the roundtrip through Resolve, you should consider making changes to your workflow. Media Encoder could be your savior.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to transendental

Try changing the MPE mode to Software MPE and delete the previews. Save the project and close down Premiere. Re-open Premiere and load a project file again. Import the DNxHD file that you exported from Resolve and see if the shifts are there or not.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Greg Baber

Greg Baber wrote:

We are always looking at which codecs people are using and which we should include. 

Hint Hint works alot better here -- https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Considering Cinema DNG is an Adobe initiative, I am real suprised this is not already on thhe list

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Considering Cinema DNG is an Adobe initiative, I am real suprised this is not already on thhe list

Right?!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points