Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video Jerky

Jul 31, 2012 1:38 PM

I installed Premiere Pro CS5 in a new Dell Vostro 470 64 bit Intel Core i5 3450 CPU @ 3.10 GHz with 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 and an Nvidia GeForce GT620 display card. When I first play video on the timeline it's fine, but after a few seconds it plays jerky and stutters and continues like that. My video plays smoother in my old computer in CS4. What's up?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

Underpowered/underspecced comes to mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

>What's up?

Hard to say, without more information... read & reply...

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

The Dell site shows an i5 CPU and only one hard drive... what is your configuration?

Does your nVidia card allow hardware MPE?

What KIND of video are you editing?

If HiDef, your i5 may not have enough power

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

I think Harm had the answer for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

That's unlikely as my older AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.3 GHZ, 4GB Computer with Win XP plays videos better in CS4.

Without further details, that is about as worthwhile a remark as saying that a 50 year old Beetle drives better than a Chevvy Volt.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:05 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

How about your disk cache settings? Something filling up? Also try disabling Windows Aero!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

The answer surely lies somewhere else than underpowered hardware. It MAY be some hardware issue, glitch with compatibility or something, but there's nothing in the performance of your setup to cause stuttering like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to Arokki_

Limited CPU, limited RAM. limited GPU, no hardware MPE, possibly an ill-tuned system, and unclear source material (MPEG2 and MP4 does not mean very much, since they are containers) all add up to questions, which are not answered.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

What about his older setup that plays fine? What about the fact that the same stutter happens even if he reduces the playback quality? Sounds like a software issue to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to sneedbreedley

You mentioned audio buckling. What kind of soundcard are you using? Maybe a FireWire connected one? ASIO-drivers tend to make my playback stutter every once in a while. Booting them up (choosing Premiere Pro WDM Sound and the choosing the ASIO driver again) solves the problem. When this happens, both audio and video stutter really bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Arokki_

What about his older setup that plays fine? What about the fact that the same stutter happens even if he reduces the playback quality? Sounds like a software issue to me.

He does not mention whether this is the same source material he has problems with now, he only talks about playing some undetermined material with CS4. Playing and editing are different animals.

My guess is that it is a combination of hardware and software problems, but without details it is only guessing and since the OP shows a distinct reluctance to divulge details, all we can do is wait for him to supply the responses asked for.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Agreed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to sneedbreedley

The symptom described is a buffering/caching issue. The related items to this are ram, cpu, HDD, and or application in background that is causing a delay in the data caching from the drive. 8 GB ram is low for HD material with CS5 or higher. If you have Multicam enabled this creates far more load/allocation with the ram which means you will reach the 8GB limit much quicker. If the CPU usage is extremely high then the interrupts required by the application for memory management will not happen in the time required to playback every frame in a 1 second period of time. If you have a antivirus or internet security application running in the background with real time protection enabled, that will  cause the delay of files caching in a correct amount of time required to playback clean.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to sneedbreedley

See #2 and #13. Still missing info that has been requested repeatedly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

What is the Driver version for the video card?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to sneedbreedley

Please download the latest driver at Nvidia's website:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

When you run the installer select custom and on the next page check mark the clean install I believe it's called. See if the playback is any better at that point.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to sneedbreedley

That sounds like powermangement kicking on or corrupt ram either GPU or System.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points