Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dual Monitors-View stylesht in Code Insp?

Aug 8, 2012 4:07 AM

Is it possible to view the css stylesheet in the Code Inspector window on my secondary monitor?

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Quahog68

It is possible to view the HTML in Code inspector and the Stylesheet in Code view, but as far as I can tell not the other way around.  To do this, the stylesheet must be a 'related' file.  So, you'd open the HTML page in Split view, click on the related file stylesheet so that its markup is shown in Code view, and press F10 to open the Code inspector.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I think you need to expand the DW application window to cover the second monitor as well, in order to display pages on it. I don't think DW allows you to  'float' pages without the application window being under them.

At least, I haven't found the way to do it yet. That would be handy. Now that you mention it...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

It does.  On my Mac I have panels displayed on both monitors without having dragged over the application window.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Sorry, I'm on a Windows box and haven't found a way to do it yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

My W7 installation is exactly the same - Application window on monitor1 and Files panel and other useful panel groups (CSS/Database/Snippets) on monitor2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Hmm, I'm using CS4 on W7 and when I try to drag a page to the other monitor (as I can in PS), it doesn't allow it. It acts like the application window has overflow:hidden (to put it in perspective) being used on it.

I'm going on a setting hunt now...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Dragging pages doesn't work - I misunderstood what you were asking for.  My setup has the document window on monitor1 and everything else (except the Property inspector) on monitor2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I may be wrong in what I'm attempting.

To me it appears that Jac4607 wants to have the HTML of the page on one monitor and the CSS for it on the other, side by side, rather than having them stacked together on one or reduced in size so they fit side by side in the application window...

Is that what you're going for Jac?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Quahog68

Open a CSS file.  Press F10 to open Code inspector. Move Code inspector to the second monitor.  Switch to another tab in DW.  Now you have Design view in one window and CSS in another.  But I'll tell you the truth, with DW's CSS navigator and CSS inspect mode, I don't see any real appeal to this contorted arrangement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Murray *ACP* wrote:

But I'll tell you the truth, with DW's CSS navigator and CSS inspect mode, I don't see any real appeal to this contorted arrangement.

I'm with you there Murray.

I've shifted my workflow so I now prefer to view CSS via the browser developer tools (F12 in IE, Firebug, etc).

So I save in DW on my LHS monitor then refresh the browser views in my RHS monitor and inspect/tweak the CSS from there. Then I go back to DW and commit the CSS changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to Quahog68

No, I see no reason for that to really make a difference.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points