Skip navigation
ScreenNamesUnavailable
Currently Being Moderated

[CS6] IDML file doesn't convert correctly

Aug 8, 2012 7:48 PM

Tags: #idml #cs6

Hi All

When an IDML file saved from InDesign CS6 is opened in CS5.5 we're getting some funky problems.

Pages in a spread are vertically misaligned (one up, one down) — even though all pages in the file are the same size (letter).

Screen-shot-2012-08-09-at-11.01.07-AM.png

Also, page items have shifted vertically away from their guides (as though both pages have shifted down behind their page items). and on some pages the page items have also shifted horizontally.

Screen-shot-2012-08-09-at-11.28.24-AM.png

The problems are sporadic throughout the document.

Any assistance would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks

d.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to ScreenNamesUnavailable

Might be because the page tool was used on a those pages. What does the .idml file look like when opened in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to ScreenNamesUnavailable

The page tool terrifies me.

I can't really answer the question about what can go wrong, but I think it has the potential to mash up a lot of x/y coordinates when things get copied or converted.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

The page tool terrifies me.

What terrifies me is thinking you can save an InDesign file as IDML and expect the conversion to be trouble free. You need a 5.5 file? Create it in 5.5!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to ScreenNamesUnavailable

For the same reason that taking Spanish text, putting it into an automatic translation program to get English and then taking the English and translating it back to Spanish. The end result will not look like the original in most cases.

What you're doing is strongly advised against and if you're going to do it anyway these are the types of things you're going to have to live with.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to ScreenNamesUnavailable

We advise against a round-trip workflow here all the time. One of the biggest problems is differences in the text engins between versions tha can cause text reflow and changes to line edings that result in oversets and other unwanted changes. Span/split columns is also a major headache.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to ScreenNamesUnavailable

it seems to me that the biggest pitfall is you have no way of seeing what your colleague is seeing, and they can't see waht you intend unless you send a PDF, and they get stuck making all the repairs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points