Skip navigation
dieppo
Currently Being Moderated

I cann't find the"define" option in adobe reader when I read a PDF file in iPad 3.

Aug 7, 2012 7:22 PM

I cann't find the "define" option in adobe reader when I read a PDF file in my iPad 3. I have already latest reader version and iOS 5.1.1 installed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to dieppo

What do you mean by the "define" opton? What are you trying to do with a PDF file in Reader 10.3?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

I found the define (and copy, highlight, stikeout, underline) by tap hold on a word, which popped up a menu with all of these choices.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to axqzycw

Thanks. I hadn't tried that function. I remember now that in iOS, Reader can make use of the iOS dictionary. Hence, the "define" function.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to dieppo

Hold down your finger over a word. You'll see the iOS selection handles around the word. You'll see the contextual menu just above the word.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to dieppo

I believe that I figured it out.

holding finger over a word, will bring the copy/define menu

holding finger where there is NO text, empty space or image, will bring up the annotation menu.

but note that if you have a scanned document, where the words are actually an image, you will get the annotation menu, since there really is no text, just a bunch of pixels that look like text...

you can turn scanned text into "real" text by using OCR functionality of the desktop version of Acrobat Pro (not Reader), it would then create a layer of invisible text under the image of the text.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to axqzycw

@azqzycw,

That is correct.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status