Skip navigation
nousinfo
Currently Being Moderated

Folio Replacement?

Aug 8, 2012 8:53 PM

Hi, I have a published folio (Folio A) and have uploaded another folio (Folio B) that is presently unpublished. I want to replace Folio A with Folio B. Is it as simple and Unpublishing Folio A - then deleting it. Populating Folio B with the same details as Folio A (ie same Same publication name, folio name, folio number, product ID etc) and then publishing Folio B?

If I do this, will there be any conflicts within the DPS organizer?

I'm hoping for an answer to this asap, thanks

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 9, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to nousinfo

That works fine. I've deleted and re-created public folios as you describe. [Note: This approach results in a duplicate folio for those who downloaded folio A. Archiving folio A makes it disappear for those users, but it's better to keep folio A in place, delete old articles, and replace them with the new ones.]

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to nousinfo

Yup. Bob and I are talking offline about that. I pulled down my post, he typed his while I typed mine. While we agree or agree to disagree, I can vouch that my 'update everything' will definitely not hurt your users. Like I said, we've had to help out publications with very very large circulations revert a mistake that started with the very thing you're doing.

The 'before somebody downloads the first folio' line? If that's the case, unpublish now and publish the new one. You'll have zero problems.

If you gave the new folio a different product ID, you'd almost certainly run into the 2 folio issue for customers who've already downloaded. You can definitely replace every article and update. I'm being brief to save you time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 8, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to jamesroche

James and I are still going over the details of this. The safest approach is to delete all the articles in folio A and then copy or import the articles from folio B.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to nousinfo

They do definitely copy, but only on the service side. If you want to update Folio A via the Folio Builder Panel again, you'll have to relink to the articles on your local/networked storage.

For safety's sake, I'd advise against deleting Folio B right away particularly for your time constraint. There's no harm in having an unpublished folio in your account just to serve as a backup.

Again, good luck. Not sure what country you're in, but it's late in Seattle so I'm going to sign off. I'll be back online bright and early tomorrow, and I'll be interested in hearing how you've done.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to nousinfo

Thanks for following up, everything seems to have worked out great. Nice!

// James Roche

// I was born lucky

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 9, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to jamesroche

As a follow-up, I just did an experiment with DPS Tips. As James said, when you unpublish/delete a folio and then re-create it using the exact same metadata, two different folios appear in the library for anyone who downloaded the first folio. If you want to replace the contents of a folio, you did exactly right -- keep the original folio, delete its articles, and then import the new articles.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points