Skip navigation
Maribeth R
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Aug 8, 2012 10:44 PM

HAF 932

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Intel X79 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3930K Processor

Thermaltake CLP0564 Frio Dual 120mm Universal CPU Cooler

1200W cool master Power Supply

PNY VCGGTX570XPB-CG GeForce GTX 570 Video Card

Crucial CT256M4SSD2 M4 2.5" SSD

4 Hitachi HD 1TB

Ultra U12-40529 Aluminus 3.5" Internal Card Reader

Lite-On iHES112-04 12X Internal Blu-Ray/DVDRW combo drive

Oil Paint Filter FREEZING.jpg

Replies
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

You might get more luck in the Photoshop forum.  This is Premiere Pro.

However, you make no mention of the size of the installed RAM.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

Nothing wrong with your specs. It seems OK. But define 'freezing'.

Is it the white OS screen showing not responding, does it hang, does it require a soft reboot or a hard reboot, does it freeze your mouse, does it show anything in the event viewer? Does it only happen with the oil paint effect or with other effects as well? What version is your video driver? Can you make a dxdiag.txt available for viewing and a Piriform Speccy .xml file as well and post a screenshot from Process Explorer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

Since is just recently built computer, I would suggest you download (or maybe you have a utility) to monitor the CPU core temperatures and see if you are running one or more cores to hot.during that process.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

Maribeth,

Based on other war stories here on the PPro hardware forum, you should absolutely load the latest motherboard firmware for your Asus. It is my understanding that the newer firmware version have fixed some pretty nasty issues that sound similar to what you are reporting.

Good luck!

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

Glad you got it working.

I don't have a clue what "dxdiag.txt available for viewing and a Piriform Speccy .xml file as well and post a screenshot from Process Explorer" ..... and I'm ok with that

A bit of an explanation so you may understand why I asked for this information. When people have strange things happening to their system, it is often very difficult to give the information required for others to help them. They often do not even know all the intricacies of their own system in detail, they may have corrupted their system in the past with some software they have installed and forgotten about it, they may have a myriad of things in their system that they are not even aware of.

Instead of asking a huge amount of questions and prolonging the thread, there are some basic tools, that can give answers very quickly.

1. If you go to Start and type in DXDIAG.exe, then choose Run 64-bit Dxdiag and then Save all information, you generate a pretty complete diagnostics file of your system in .TXT format, which can be very helpful in finding problems, like outdated drivers, remnants of older drivers no longer used, codec corruption, and a whole bunch of other useful information to help troubleshooting.
    2. Next go to the site Piriform Speccy and download and install Speccy wherever you want to. After installation, run the program. You will see a screen that shows the summary of your system. Now from the top menu select 'File' and 'Save as XML'. Select a file location and a file name that is both easy to find and easy to remember. That information is a complete overview of your system, plus all number of details about the components. It saves you from figuring out all the details of your system and gives us a good chance to look at possible causes of your problem.
    3. Next, install Sysinternals Suite and run Process Explorer. This will show all the processes running in the background and can help pinpoint unnecessary memory hogs or CPU stealing processes. It shows how well a system is tuned and can be very informative to help solve strange problems.

The first two files need to be made available on a website for viewing by others, the results from step 3 can be attached as a screenshot. If people follow these steps, identifying the cause of a strange problem is a lot easier.

You don't need to do that anymore, but I figured I owed you an explanation about what I asked and why.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Maribeth R

....just a crude guess......there have been discussions on this forum concerning problems coming from memory that is not" low voltage",( 1.35v Samsung), used with your cpu......some claim said problems go away with newest bios for motherboard.....some say no....must have the low voltage memory. Read about that and ask Eric on this forum,from ADK.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to Maribeth R

To contact an individual on the forum:

1) Click on that person's photo / icon

2) Click on Send Private Message link (upper right area of display)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points