Skip navigation
Jim-Lar
Currently Being Moderated

Monitor advice

Aug 8, 2012 4:31 AM

I’m converting from mac to pc for my editing system. There are a lot of thoughts on bang for the buck systems but non of them discusses what monitors that provides adequate performance.

What monitors would you recommend for video editing and witch give you the best bang for the buck? What display-technologies to look for and not?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

What monitors would you recommend for video editing and witch give you the best bang for the buck? What display-technologies to look for and not?

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but this question is similar to:

What car would you recommend for traveling and which gives you the best bang for the buck?

You must be a magician to answer that question correctly, because you have no idea of the budget available (it could be $ 10K or $ 800K), you have no idea what 'traveling' means (10 miles once a week or 500 miles per day with X passengers and Y cargo) in this case, so any answer is just a wild guess, likely to be devoid of anything realistic.

If you can fill us in on your requirements and budget, we may come up with a suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

>adequate performance

What works for ME is a 27 inch Samsung SyncMaster P2770 for about $300

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

The best solution provided you calibrate it is the Asus PA246Q. The default color profile has some issues so calibration is a must. However the price point is so attractive that even adding the colorimeter you are still far cheaper than many production monitors.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

You can't really use the computer monitor to judge the quality of your video.  For that, you need a properly calibrated external TV.

So..any computer monitor that fit's your budget and size needs will do.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

This completely depends on your delivery. If you are delivering to Web then you want the material previewed in RGB which means you want the computer monitor. If you are delivering to broadcast then you want the material in YUV so the TV is best. Film is also in RGB. BDR's and DVD's are normally YUV however this is changing because many LCD and LED TV's are handling RGB by default due to console gaming. So this is in Flux.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to ECBowen

It's not really about YUV or RGB, though.  There will be little or no difference between conversions.

The issue is more one of accuracy.  With the computer monitor used for the GUI, the operating system, graphics driver and even the program you're using to play the media (such as PP) can and do interfere with the signal you're watching.  You have no idea if you're seeing it accurately.  That's why you need a way to get the unaltered signal out of PP and onto an external, calibrated TV.

(By the way, DVDs and Blu-rays's will always be YUV 4:2:0, as they can't hold any other signal.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Calibration is what Colorimeters are for and yes you can absolutely monitor accurately with computer monitors calibrated via a Colorimeter and ICC profiles. That is what these were standardized and designed for. Example of Colorimeter below. The Spyder series is another

http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1454&catid=109&a ction=overview

Windows 7 supports ICC profiles which override the video card settings for color output. The application settings should follow the ICC Profile settings if you are using standard ICC Profiles. ICC standardization was done to sync multiple devices to 1 color profile standard for symmetry.

With Proper calibration you know exactly what you are seeing and how it will look in the RGB color world.

The Blue ray players now allow you to output RGB instead of YUV. You may not have a BDR encoding now to RGB but the player will covert the signal. So yes the RGB output is there and likely will change encoding options in the future. Hence why I stated it is in flux.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

Dell has a successor to the 2711 available in Japan, the U2713HM, a full LED backlit 27" screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 350 cd/m2, 42 W energy consumption using an Advanced High Performance IPS panel for around € 515. Looks like a great deal to me.

The Dutch article about its announcement is here: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/83618/dell-introduceert-27-inch-ah-ips-sche rm-u2713hm.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

If you require the 2500 resolution then the Dell U2711 would be choice 1 and the Dell Harm mentions would be choice 2. Both are in your budget.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Why would that be, Eric? In my book a significant advantage of the 2713 over the 2711 is the new panel, AH-IPS versus H-IPS and only 42 W versus 113 W with the 2711. The 2713 appears to have the price advantage as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Looking at the specs though the 2711 still has the advantage in color range and it supports up to 10 bit color. It has a built in factory Adobe RGB profile. The response time is little faster on the previous panel. The 2713 is definitely a cheaper option and great for the price. However if the budget allowed, the 2711 looks to still be a better solution for editing overall.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to ECBowen

2711 still has the advantage in color range and it supports up to 10 bit color.

The same is claimed for the 2713. The response time is slightly slower than the 2711, but is that relevant for video editing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

The Specs on the Dell website dont show that unless they have more than one version of the 2713.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l =en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Eric,

You are correct. My problem is that I only had the Japanese site and my Japanese is so rusty...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Haha you can speak Japanese to?? We Americans are such slackers

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Well, I started out with Mandarin, something like 妈 麻 马 骂 吗 , mā má mǎ mà ma, and then gave up on Japanese, because this was a big enough challenge for a simple mind like me. It is already a challenge to keep up my language skills of Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Mandinka, Papiamentu, Portugese, Spanish, Swiss-German and Wolof. Notice the complete lack of Arabic, Korean, Russian and Scandinavian languages. I'm pretty limited, but with time, maybe I can learn some more... Next step is probably Bulgarian and Turkish.

It is somewhat similar to learning Ajax, CSS, DOM, HTML, Joomla, JS, Jquery, MySQL, PHP, and the like.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Jim-Lar

[Personal comment deleted]

By the way, Dell monitors suck.  52% of people suggest you do not buy that monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260038&Tpk=De ll%20U2711

Those are pretty bad reviews and exactly what you'd expect from Dell.  Anyone can throw out a monitor model they like but you know what they say about teaching a man to fish...here's my starting point.  I get a price range, I go to newegg, go to power search, tell it want LED backlit, 1920x1080, and HDMI then I click on the price range under monitors and sort by best user rating.  Something in the first 10 will be perfect, it's practically guaranteed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points