Skip navigation
trftimes001
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign pdf into Quark

Aug 9, 2012 7:40 AM

When I import a pdf file made with InDesign into Quark some of the type disappears when printing. I can see it on the screen but it does not appear on the printed page. It will be in the middle of a paragraph just one line. Not a whole sentence or paragraph but one line at various points on the page.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to trftimes001

I think we need to know more about the font, the way the PDF was made, and other details about the ID file like transparency usage, blenidng modes, and so forth, and whether the disappearing text shares any sort of attributes with other missing text.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to trftimes001

For Quark, at least through version 7 or so, you’d be far better off with EPS since Quark would internally convert them to EPS anyway.

Other than that, I suggest asking in the Quark forums.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to trftimes001

It wouldn't hurt. No promises, though. Send me a link by Private Message (Click my name to go to my profile to use the PM system).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to trftimes001

maybe quark is doing the magic trick when importing. i've stopped working on quark since CS2 appears, but used to place ONLY eps on quark, because every other type of file was a problem.

what if you open it with illustrator? look for overprint attribute in the mentioned text

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 9, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to trftimes001

Try flattening the PDF (PDF 1.3) in AcrobatPro. You can do that via Save As > PDF... > Format PDFX > Settings > PDF/X1-a

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The type that's dropping out seems to be a custom encoded subset of a Type 1 Futura font. Quark might not be able to read the custom encoding, though there is also some othe custom encoded text in the Ventures ad and somewhere else I wasn't able to spot.

Can I ask Why you are putting a full page PDF into Quark like this? The page seems to be complete on its own....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to trftimes001

The font is the same throughout that paragraph.

I stopped using Quark at version 6, but using it to impose PDFs like this used to be a recipe for disaster. That particular PDF is not flattened, and that may certainly be a factor. I'd take Rob's suggestion and convert it to X-1a and see if it helps, and ask your clients to send you PDF/X-1a in the future. I'd also suggest that if you do a lot of this, and it seems like you do, something like Quite Imposing, which is an acrobat plugin, would be a good investment.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to trftimes001

well, you can say the customer to save in PDF-X1a, which is a preset that came on indesign. or to convert the text to outlines (the same large files that converting to eps)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Fede Gianni

Fede,

That is HORRIBLE advice that simply compounds the bad workflow that’s already being used.

Quark is not, and never was, am imposition program for PDFs.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 9, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to trftimes001

I had a client a few years ago laying out a book catalog in Quark 6 and my ID exported PDFs had to be PDF 1.3 or they would not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I'm sorry Bob. you're right from here to China. Please forgiveme.

i only wanted to help solving a specific problem with a specific solution, because is very frustrating when something is not working.

there is a latin-american point of view of what assistance, or support are, that prays "we have to do it with the tools we have" (in spanish "lo atamos con alambre" = "tie it with wire" (?) approx) reasons are short budgets, or too much beaurocracy, that makes the optimal solution never cames o cames toooooo late, and needs of quick responses, sometimes the "wire" is the only solution. Unfortunately, after years of dealing with problems, this kind of thinking starts to take your entire brain.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to trftimes001

http://www.quite.com/imposing/

The basic version is $475 US, so I find it hard to believe it wouldn't pay for itself in a couple of weeks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points