Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with tracing an image please

Aug 9, 2012 9:47 AM

Hi all, I've got an image I got sent by someone as I'me looking to cut it out on my vinyl cutter.

It's open in illustrator so I've selected it and click live paint - trace.

Below is the image.

ocp.jpg

When I trace it, all the straight edges go wonky and I'm unsure how to fix this.

Please help.

thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to simpson246

don't use auto-trace on that one. Just construct it instead. Should be a matter of minutes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to simpson246

Depends on if the client wants it cleaned up in that process, because that logo is so sloppily constructed it could need some straightening.

In case you just want to have it vectorised: take the pen-tool and create some corner points, using the image as a guide. Read the manual on how to work with the pen-tool.

You could crete the outmost octagon with the polygon tool. Looks like it might be a perfect octagon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to simpson246

Use the pen tool. Using Illustrator without knowing how to use the pen tool is like driving a race car and never changing gears. Search for Illustrator Pen Tutorials. There are thousands.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to simpson246

Simpson,

You can just click each corner with the Pen Tool; with the Line Tool you get separate paths where you need full, closed paths.

If you have Smart Guides on, you can see that you get the right angles (literally and those halving them).

But I believe I would suggest a slightly different approach. Sorry have to leave.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Careful... get it wrong and the Robocop cyborgs will get you.

(The logo is from the series of Robocop movies)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to simpson246

@simpson246 - may I humbly ask how in the world you have a vinyl cutter and taking jobs to cut... where as you have no knowledge of vectors, pen-tools, etc.? That's  amazing... just plain sad...or  both.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

DocPixel, Learning By Mistake is a perfectly good way to learn -- and never ever to forget the lessons learned!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to simpson246

@simpson246 - I guess I'm a bit curious for a couple of reasons:

1) why you specifically came here to this forum, to ask for help about Illustrator. Besides the fact that Cutstudio also has an integrated tracing feature, your answer could have easily been found on say YouTube or through a Google search. Literally 1000's of tutorials on the web how to use the pen tool, manually or automatically tweak settings for Auto Trace and then do manual clean up.

2) the other point was that I was shocked (which is common the more often I visit these forums I must say), that while you have a vinyl cutter, you have no knowledge of how the designs or documents are created that you send to it. This has (as far as I know) always been done in one kind of vector software or another for almost a couple of decades now. Even the cutter software has a pen tool(s) to create the cut-line. So what made you decide to use a strange new program like Illustrator to do the job?

While I thoroughly enjoy teaching people new tricks or help troubleshooting problems, I do have a rather nasty pet peeve. That is when it appears that someone is too lazy to spend the time to search for an answer, or take the time to learn from the copious amount of information and tutorials freely available on the web, and posts a question instead.

I've been in this business now for 30+ years, and I can't tell you how many 1000's of hours I have given to learning my trade, whether software, art, or technology. I've done this on my time and my dollar for the vast majority of it. I never expected a "free simple ride", which means I also didn't ask questions until all other sources were exhausted.

Lastly, whether I should and do ignore it most days, the fact that so many people think that they can just purchase a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment and software and now they are a "professional" business by just hitting the "print button".... irks me.

Over the years I've witnessed countless small businesses that invested literally 10s of thousands of dollars over the years, thus supporting the developers and moving the industry forward, with training and equipment... only to see them be undercut and sometimes wiped out be these "new kids on the block". The very same kids that come here now and ask "newbie" questions to do the job for 1/3 price. It is what it is and I can't change that and don't even attempt to, but it surely does get to me some days.

Yes, I realize I should be more disciplined and let it slide without comment then... but, ya know... I'm human and just as impulsive as the next guy/girl some times that posts the question rathing than waiting a minute or 2.

@Jongware - I agree fully with "Learning By Mistake is a perfectly good way to learn".

It's learning by "having some one else do all the work", or "learning on the free individually tailored training from others" that I disagree with. Google, YouTube, AdobeTV, Smashing Magazine, etc. etc. also offer "free", you just might have to apply yourself. Also there is fantastic and affordable online training from Lynda.com to boot.

Learning by mistake and experimentation is the only way some of us Old Dogs were able to learn at all. Now get off my lawn!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points