Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Content Viewer v22 for Android - folio update issue

Aug 9, 2012 2:12 PM

Yesterday I updated our Xoom to Android 4.1.1 and updated the Adobe Content Viewer to v22.  Both we and a client have had issues with not seeing the "Update Available" message for folios that are been updated.  The "Updating Library..." message flashes briefly at the top of the viewer in library mode, however nothing changes.  It's only after killing the app and restarting that it takes its time while checking the library for updates and finds them.  Has anyone else had this issue?  The iPad rendition of the same folio has been showing update messages in the usual, almost instantaneous, way.

Has anyone else had difficulty with updating folios in the Android v22 Adobe Content Viewer?  In the past couple of versions I've noticed some strangeness with the Sign In/ Sign Out part of the library where it seems like the text tells you you're signed in, but sometimes you have to sign out and sign back in to get updates.  Sometimes you could go back to the home screen and then go back into the app and it would trigger a check for updates as well, however that trick doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Andrew

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

There are known issues of the App/Content Viewer crashing on Motorola Zoom with Android 4.1.*, Adobe is working on a solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 13, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

My app works fine on Froyo and Honeycomb devices, but I just borrowed a Jelly Bean (4.1) device and experienced the same crash. I reported this issue to the Android tester. Let's hope for a hot fix soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Same symptom for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

We are experiencing this same problem - we had a Motorola XOOM w/ Android 4.0 that could run the v22 Content Viewer fine, but then after upgrade to Android 4.1.1, v22 Content Viewer crashes on start.

ALSO:

Viewer Builder-built apps exhibit the same issue:

v22 apps crash on startup

v21 apps DO NOT crash on startup

(However, the v21 apps are exhibiting strange behaviour with full-screen video, but that's a different thread altogether).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to BenPowerCreative

We've confirmed this is an issue with v22 on Jelly Bean and are investigating a fix.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

We have issue with ALL Android viewers on Ainol Novo7 AuroraII device with 4.0.4 (stock Adobe Viewer from Google Play, different custom viewers from Google Play, back to v18, new customer viewer v22). So far don't know if this is device-related, or software-related. Any idea? don't have any other device with 4.0.4 .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

I am having this issue on the iPad as well. I just updated to v22 and none of my previously created folios will open.

I am sending out messages to clients this evening to hold off updating their Content Viewer apps until I find some resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

We have a fix but it has not been pushed out yet, as we are trying to sequence a few issues together. It won't get pushed out until towards the end of this week/early next.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

Andrew,

Did you try archiving the pubs and downloading again? That worked for me.

I second your frustration. How something like this could make it out the door is a mystery.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to BlueCStudios

"I second your frustration. How something like this could make it out the door is a mystery."

From Bob, just above:

"My app works fine on Froyo and Honeycomb devices, but I just borrowed a Jelly Bean (4.1) device and experienced the same crash."

That's how it gets out the door.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

You will need to rebuild your application via viewer builder and then distribute it, but other than that no action should be required.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

I'm working with the team on that right now.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Just to clarify: we know there is a crashing problem with both custom apps and the Adobe Content Viewer on Jellybean when produced via Viewer Builder. We'll be releasing a fix for that, and it will require a rebuild of your application/viewer and then re-distribution.

We are unaware of crashes in the published Adobe Content Viewer available via Google Play. I just sat with an engineer and we succesfully installed that viewer, logged in, viewed a library, and downloaded a folio.

If you are seeing something different please let me know.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

I grabbed a colleague's Jellybean device and gave this a try with the released Adobe Content Viewer and had no issues updating a folio and getting the update library message.

Are you positive you are updating the correct rendition for your folios?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

We have pushed out the hotfix to Viewer Builder that resolves the Jellybean crash. You should be able to re-build your viewer and successfully see the library and updated issues now.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Neil,

this is very important for me: will be with new build included new Adobe AIR, released on 21th of August? And btw how i can say which version of AIR s included with particular build of viewer? I've just today found that this latest version of Adobe AIR solves stability issue (or better to say crasher), which occured on some strange Android devices with 4.0.4 with ANY version of Viewer (i've tested 18, 19, 22, maybe even older). This crasher was reported by users of our Android apps - application never started, just black screen and back to launcher. Your support told me, that i should contant device manufacturer, but seems that it was something what Adobe could fix. Case #0183544776.

So i need to have v22 with newest Air...

Thanks for reply!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

This is a hotfix release only and does not include any changes to the AIR runtime.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

My understanding was this is a server-side fix only, but we did also post a new viewer builder client. Try downloading the new viewer builder version and see if that resolves it.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Andrew Smith

There should be a newer viewer builder version available on your DPS dashboard, version 2.2.2.36.57686.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Dear Neil,

could you tell us what problems have been fixed ith this update. Is there a list?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Niel,

i've just downloaded new viewer builder and i've created new builder, which includes AIR runtime. Unfortunately, it crashes in same way like with old viewer with old Adobe AIR. I need to have new AIR included with viewer, because i need that is solves this crasher. Is there any way how to push this issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Neil,

we've just tested it on Asus Transformer with 4.1.1 and it's NOT FIXED. App starts, shows splashscreen and there stuck. We will try to test on another Android 4.1 devices, but this is NOT GOOD.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

This is not the case. This new version number is not available for download via my dashboard nor is it coming up in any search on Adobe.com. Can you advise where we can download this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to SteveHirsch

Bob updates the list of fixes at http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/release-note/dps-bug-f ix-release-notes.html shortly after each release.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

I'm checking to see why people are still having trouble on Android.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 28, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

Martin - You might want to create a new viewer from scratch in Viewer Builder. That worked for me when I experienced the splash image freeze on my app. Unfortunately, it appears that the hot fixes rolled out yesterday did not resolve all the bugs with Android viewers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

Andrew,

Can you provide a link to where you downloaded this update to Viewer Builder? It is not available via my dashboard and I cannot find it anywhere on the site.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points