Skip navigation
Pricon52
Currently Being Moderated

.pdf file size limits

Aug 8, 2012 2:36 PM

Is there a limit to .pdf file size or page count?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Pricon52

PDF files can be very large, both in size and page count. But the limitation isn't in what can be included but what can be reasonably read in PDF readers. They will be limited by the memory of the device your recipients will be reading it on.

What file size and page count are you contemplating?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Pricon52

You should have no problem with that file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Pricon52

I don't know that I would assume no problem. A lot of folks do not have high end machines. At 650 MB, you may have a much larger memory use when graphics and such are open for display. I would expect a lot of virtual memory (disk) being used and slowing down the viewing substantially. I would strongly recommend looking at what is making the file so large (maybe the 2000 pages) and seeing if you can reduce the size. You might also consider having multiple PDFs that are linked, rather than one big one.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Pricon52

Just to confirm what Bill said —

I have several 'boxes' that I use each day.

They range from the typical, adequate, lower price point to a high end 'power-box'.

I have occasion to combine a large PDF document collection into a single PDF having a foot print of just under 800Mb (page count out around 2,000).

When using the 'typical, adequate, lower price point' box this large PDF can only be consumed at a crawl.

Bottom line is that the typical box has less RAM, resources, and integrated graphics rather than a adequately robust independent graphics card.

These boxes just do not provide the 'logistical' support to applications (Adobe Reader, Acrobat, whatever) that render PDFs with the very high file size foot print.

Particularly so if the PDF contains a good dose of graphics.

For the most part I've found that end-users seriously avoid such PDFs.

Be well...

Message was edited by: CtDave

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points