Skip navigation
gd0
Currently Being Moderated

Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?

Aug 6, 2012 7:45 PM

I'm broke.

I'm also stuck with my old G4 Mac; it is maxed out as far as upgrades.

G4 Powermac PPC, 667MHz, OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger), 1.5G RAM

I already own Photoshop / Illustrator CS2, and Acrobat 7.0, bought when they were current. I've been using Quark all this time.

I'm looking to buy a copy of InDesign CS2 if only to get familiar with it and avoid losing more projects simply because I don't have this app.

I'm looking at one online that appears to be sealed ($200). What are the complications, if any, of buying something so old? If it is as described, is there anything that would prevent it from operating? Does this old app require registration? What am I missing?

Any advice, including pricing or alternate ways to acquire ID CS2, is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to gd0

I think you know the risks. It could be counterfeit, or an educational product, or part of somebody's upgrade chain, all of which would mean you can't register it. Scammers all have shrink-wrap machines these days.

There are legitimate copies out there, but hey are not easy to find. Is this an individual or a comapany? Do you have any way to check their history or reliability? Are you willing to lose $200 if it turns out not to be for real?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to gd0

In addition to Peter's notes, what kind of projects do you think you're going to get with CS2? I's effectively five versions out of date. You might consider moving to Windows where you can get a much less expensive machine and to Creative Cloud which will give you every Adobe application in the Master Collection along with a lot more for only $49.99/month.

Even if that CS2 is legit, and I have my doubts, it's still throwing good money after bad.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to gd0

Money and the cloud are different issues. There is no requirement that cloud users store anything in the cloud. That's an option for those who want to be able to access their files from anywhere, but youare free to keep things entirely local if you wish. The applications are downloaded and installed locally, and the only reason you need an internet connection to work with the cloud after installing is to periodically verify that the subscription is still valid.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to gd0

They check the servers periodically to see if you’re paid up. If you’re not, the software is disabled.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to gd0

besides of serials and registration numbers, (a kind of lottery) depends on the kind of work you want to do.

if you start a project from scratch to pdf, yo can do it in quark, but this is not where you are losing projects, i think.

if you want to work with others, probably CS2 can get you more trouble than solutions, i recommend at least CS4, (i used to work in CS4 with a G4, with a little more RAM than yours) because every version have his OWN save format, and saving for different versions can be a mess for teamwork, you said that you're losing projects, but after buying, ask your client which version of CS they need you to work on, i really doubt that anybody ask you to work in CS2, even when it was a good and stable version of inDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to gd0

The process is similar to activation-  the apps phone home, if you're paid up the server says so and the program continues to run, if not it will stop running.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to gd0

in this case, CS2 will be not bad, you learn the basics of InDesign, it's a solid version, and future collaborators can edit your work in any CS3, 4, 5, 6...

but it will be a problem if you send documents back and forth with CS5 and 6 (there is a workaround to convert from CS4 to CS2)

so, now, it not sounds as bad as i think in your firs post!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to gd0

gd0 wrote:

Don't want to dwell on the Cloud, but I do appreciate the info. As it is, Adobe detects my existing CS2 apps, yes? So, if there really is internet access, if only to enable/disable CS, that tells me a remote possibility exists that my files built in Cloud apps can be accessed from the outside. Which means I can't play. As I started doing creative work since well before desktop-anything, I've always guaranteed my clients' confidentiality, even if it is "only" commercial work.

Adobe doesn't look at anythign but the subscription info. Are you saying you have no internet connection at all for that machine? That's the only way you can guarantee no outside hacker access. If you're connected for eamil or browsing, your vulnerable, but behind a network firewall the risk is so small it can really be ignored, and nobody wants your creative files, just your personal info, financial data, and passwords.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to gd0

The appeal of the cloud is probably three-fold.

It's cheap (and you can run both Mac and PC on the same subscription), especially if you use a lot of the programs.

It's up to date. Patches and feature extensions on the cloud are issued more frequently (at least in theory) than the regular bug-fix downloads. Installation is still optional.

It's convenient. For those who are not cloud phobic you can travel anywhere there is a network connection and download the apps onto any machine capable of running them, or access files you've stored. Though I tend to share your pessimism about hosting files online, as I said before I don't believe thy typs of files that one would store would be of much use to anyone. I don't know who your cleints are, but mine don't have industiral spies trying to steal their ads before they go public.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points