Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5.2 - sound clip silent after audio gain adjustment

Aug 9, 2012 4:26 PM

Seem to be having bad luck with Premiere recently. Now the latest hassle is that when I change the gain on an audio clip, and go to play it back, there's no sound coming from it. I just cleaned the cache today. any tips appreciated.

EDIT: seems like randomly the program wont play sound from any clip now either...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Please tell us about the offending Audio Clips.

Also, can you list your Audio & Audio Hardware settings, including the ASIO settings?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Don't have any other audio sources running at the same time as PP.  Shut down both, then restart PP alone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to VidNoob

That would have been my next suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to VidNoob

Glad that you found the cause of the problem.

Regarding the Waveform Display, though you adjust the Gain, the Waveform will not change. It is "baked into" the PEK file, generated, when you Import the file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to VidNoob

Interesting.

Unless we are talking about different things, this entry from Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book, Adobe Press, pretty much covers it:

"Waveforms are immutable

Adding an effect to a clip in Adobe Premiere Pro will not affect the original audio or video clip or the visible audio waveform. If you change the clip's volume or apply audio effects to it, the waveform will always display the clips's original volume levels."

[p 225]

Now, if the PEK file (Waveform Display) has been changed in CS 6, then I stand corrected, and that would be a nice addition.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt
    Now, if the PEK file (Waveform Display) has been changed in CS 6, then I stand corrected

It's been like this for a while now Bill, since at least CS4.  When you adjust the clip's gain, the waveform display changes to reflect the change in volume.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to VidNoob

You are correct - my confusion on Gain vs Volume. As I almost never use Gain, but instead either Clip Keyframes, or Track Keyframes on Volume.

My bad,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points