Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Most Creative Suite CS6 Apps crash upon launch with Mountain Lion

Jul 27, 2012 8:19 PM

Is there a solution to the problem CS6 apps crashing at launch or shortly after when running Mountain Lion? I have tried many reinstalls of CS6 and Mountain Lion. I verified permissions and repaired. No matter what I do the same apps fail and crash. Dreamweaver immediately crashes as does Illustrator and Fireworks. Bridge crashes sometimes. Photoshop seems to run okay. Its  only Adobe software that has a problem.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to dluzader

I installed Mountain Lion (in place installation) last Friday and I've had no proble with any CS6 application. That also matches with most of what I've read from Adobe and others.

I think you should consider uninstalling CS6 and reinstalling it again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to dluzader

I am having exactly the same problem.  I installed Mountain Lion in place and after installation, CS6 applications crash.  I have uninstalled all CS6 applications and reinstalled and the problem still occurs.

The crash log shows the following:

------------------------

Process:         Dreamweaver [4949]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS6/Adobe Dreamweaver CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Dreamweaver

Identifier:      com.adobe.dreamweaver-12.0

Version:         12.0.1.5842 (12.0.1)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [157]

User ID:         502

Date/Time:       2012-07-30 14:42:05.421 +0100

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Report Version:  10

Sleep/Wake UUID: 6A909658-B393-41D8-93A1-14704061FEF8

Interval Since Last Report:          11766 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           7

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  115 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   7

Anonymous UUID:                      14A2EDE6-6B01-4801-B393-EBA85BAD6CAC

Crashed Thread:  11  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to dluzader

Not always true, Karl. My iMac is three years old and has gone through three OS versions. But a deep cleaning can be a good idea, nevertheless.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

I have a brand new MB Pro Retina only 1 month old and upgraded to 10.8 and Illustrator & Dreamweaver CS6 apps crashed on launch. I deleted all my preferences and it fixed Illustrator crash.

Dreamweaver I had to do a re-install.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: PatrickVisser

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to PatrickVisser

Adobe released a Dreamweaver update today (7/30). I'd make sure you get the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

To be honest, that's what's started the whole crashing of CS6 applications. Hence I un- and re-installed Dreamweaver which solved my problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to dluzader

Thanks for all the advice.  I have installed all updated and the problem persists, unfortunately.  I am now preparing to do a clean re-install of Mountain Lion and will let you know if this resolves the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Got the Dreamweaver update, but still no better.  Spoke to Adobe 'live chat' support who told me that Mountain Lion is not supported by Adobe so they couldn't help at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to dluzader

Just did a fresh install of Mountain Lion, installed all updates then installed Create Suite 6.  Same problem.  Crashes on launch of Dreamweaver and Fireworks.  Tried installing latest CS6 updates, same issue.  Unbelievable.  On the Adobe website they say there are no known compatibility issues: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativesuite/faq.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Karl_EU

Since there may be some Dreamweaver issues (I haven't had problems in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat), you might check out the Dreamweaver forum for advice, if you haven't already.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_general

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

indesign creashes for me as well

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Edward Shephard

Edward,

Post your question on the InDesign forum. Here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_general

If you're using a new MacBook Pro Retina or Air, there may be a solution for you there. Please post your OS version and configuration.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

I just installed the 7/30/2012 update. Same crash thereafter. I'm wasting a lot of time now, not a happy camper!

As an iOS developer, I know that these kind of crashes are usually the fault of the program developer, not Apple.

Process:         Dreamweaver [1681]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS6/Adobe Dreamweaver CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Dreamweaver

Identifier:      com.adobe.dreamweaver-12.0

Version:         12.0.1.5842 (12.0.1)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [162]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2012-08-03 16:04:18.230 -1000

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          188282 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           10

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  6 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1

Anonymous UUID:                      D13F8894-524A-403E-8B57-5BB4CF483BC4

Crashed Thread:  4  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to snorkeler

Since Adobe engineers don't always see messages in every forum, you should post your bug report here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to dluzader

Check out reply #6 by Rachel in this forum: http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/07/adobe-creative-suite-and-mounta in-lion-mac-os-x-10-8/

I'm not sure if that will help any of you or not, but it seemed to work for her and someone else.

-Good Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Abbazaba035

cannot open Dreamweaver CS6 under OS X ML. Tried the catch with Java but alas .... hope Adobe brings an update as I am blocked with work!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to Abbazaba035

Tried the java fix but it didn't work for me, unfortunately.  I've logged a bug now so I hope Adobe will address this soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Karl_EU

I was promised a 48hr callback five days ago and am still waiting, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any service from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

This is killing me! has there been any resolution to this issue? mine seems to be caused by trying to restore previous files. And no amount of preference clearing or re-installing seems to work!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to dluzader

I haven't found a solution yet.  As a backup, I have created a virtual machine running Lion and installed Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS5.5 there.  Also, on very rare occasions Dreamweaver does not crash and I have resorted to leaving it open all the time and using 'sleep' on my Mac at night so I don't have to close it.  Not ideal.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to Karl_EU

Any news from Adobe on this? It's really annoying that half the products became useless after the ML upgrade..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to JanRaets

I'm going to say this one more time and you can do whatever it is you want.

I hate O/S upgrades and will never do one again. Back up your data and do a clean install. If you can't be bothered with that I'm sorry, but I have nothing else to offer. You have nothing to lose if you can't do any work anyway.

CS6 runs great for me with Mountain Lion on my MacBook Air.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob surely you will have to agree with me that clean installs and formatting before upgrading an operating system is Windows-style behavior and it's exactly the reason why I've switched to Mac in the first place.

As I understand from the forum there are also plenty of people who have completed a clean install and still have the same issues.

I am happy for you that your CS6 runs smoothly and as expected, but for those people out there that are experiencing the same issues as I am it would be nice if Adobe would come up with some fix. Cause the way it is sitting now I have a paid a lot for a couple of bug reports..

Cheers,

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to JanRaets

Yes…I agree 100% but it appears you’ve bought hook line and sinker into the propaganda that nothing ever goes wrong with a Mac.

If you think you’ve moved to a trouble free environment you’re likely in for some major disappointment.

And if you read my posts again you’ll see that CS6 runs nicely for me ON A CLEAN INSTALL of Mountain Lion.

I wasted my time once on an upgrade install when I went to Snow Leopard. Never again.

And to repeat what I’ve said before, if you want to sit around and wait for some magic fix, that’s certainly your prerogative, but if I were in your shoes, I’d be backing up my data and making a check list of everything I need before doing that clean install. You will not regret making that investment in time.

Edit: Find me an example of someone having an issue with a clean install. All of the complaints I've seen have come from upgrade installs.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

HI Bob,

Thanks for your fast reply. First of all you wanted an example look at reply number 10 in this post. Same issues after a clean Mountain Lion install.

And my MB Air is less than 3 months old, I refuse to believe I managed to clutter the OS so badly already that it needed a new install rather than an upgrade.

I will try a clean install tonight, however I don't have fate that it will solve my problem.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to JanRaets

I believe that there were known issues with Dreamweaver. Since the poster never came back to update us, there's no telling if that was it or not.

I understand your frustration but unfortunately I have nothing else to offer besides the advice I've already given you.

Please come back and update us after you do that clean install.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Oh, BTW, this is a great little helper for creating a USB boot disk for installing on a MacBook Air.

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 1:17 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

By way of update, a clean install of Mountain Lion followed by an install of CS6 did not fix the issue for me as per my earlier post 10.  I am now using a virtual machine running lion for Dreamweaver and Fireworks.  I guess I'll have to wait for a 'magic fix' or another person finding the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to dluzader

I could resolve the problem by deinstalling CS6 with all the prefs, reboot, reboot a second time, reinstall CS6. Strangely enough I had to follow this procedure twice in a row to have the desired effect (rather by accident as I had been interrupted doing it for the first time).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to dluzader

Temporary FIX: Create a new USER account, the programs will work fine. Yes this is only a bandaid, and I understand creating a new user will be a pain in the *** to re-set-up everything. Its the only thing that is working for me. Adobe tech support has been straight ****! I did a complete re-install per adobe and enabled this user as a root user, and still crashes (illy and indesign)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to dluzader

I have tried a clean install of ML last night, erased the hdd and started fresh...still the same issue.

So far I have tried the following without success:

- Install all the CS6 updates : No luck

- Clear the CS6 preferences and cache files : No luck

- New user in OSX : No luck

- Clean install: No Luck

Guess I'll be doing another clean install tonight and run Lion again until someone manages to figure out what the hell is going on. My gut feeling says it has to do with the java framework OSX installs before running CS6 in ML.

Thanks for you feedback so far guys.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to dluzader

I refuse the idea that we must go to all the work of doing a complete clean reinstall of Mountain Lion! This is an Adobe problem.

I tried uninstalling Dreamweaver, then reinstalling.

On launch, it came up as far as the welcome screen, and then crashed as always. Next time, immediately as the welcome screen came on, I closed it. No crash. I was then able to open my website. So I turned off the welcome screen feature.

I just tried to launch. Crash. On 'reopen app', this time, an Adobe message came up 'Last time, the application crashed on attempting to reopen open windows. Do you want to launch without opening windows?"  When I chose that, it successfully launched. So that may be a clue.

So I'm going to try closing all windows before quitting, and see if that stops the crashes. At least I can work again. And this was without reinstalling OSX.

I sure hope Adobe is working hard on this. It's annoying that they don't tell us anything, when so many people are having crashes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to snorkeler

snorkeler wrote:

I refuse the idea that we must go to all the work of doing a complete clean reinstall of Mountain Lion! This is an Adobe problem.

Your perrogative.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

snorkeler wrote:

Your perrogative.

Bob

Bob,

Clearly you are siding with Adobe on this, and assume it's normal for people to have to spend days of their life trying to figure this out. However as I've mentioned before, and I am not alone on this: even a clean install is not a guarantee to solve this issue. I and many with me have tried every possible fix we could find out on the forums and at best have to make due with an unreliable crash-heavy piece of software.

So I have to agree with snorkeler on this, it is ridiculous that we are expected to put so much time and effort into getting an application to work that we have already spent a lot of $$ on. I reckon I should start billing Adobe for my lost time.

If the adobe creative suite cost 10$ I would not be complaining, heck I wouldn't even expect it to work properly. But with Adobe's licensing fees the least we should be able to expect is some proper support and a timely fix to such a critical problem.

Cheers..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to JanRaets

I’m not siding with anyone but I ask you this…what changed?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I think Adobe changed. I installed ML, then installed Adobe CS6. All worked beautifully.

Then, I recollect, Adobe did an update to Java (Apple didn't change anything) and suddenly some of the Adobe apps started crashing.

Everything else non-Adobe seems to be working very well. So I'm inclined to think it's an Adobe issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to snorkeler

Adobe doesn't do Java updates. Apple does Java updates.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points