Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File comparison utility for OS X

Jul 30, 2012 9:53 AM

In Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac OS X Lion, what file comparison utility should I use and what is the path to it (for the Preferences setting? I have TextWrangler installed via the App Store, but selecting that does nothing. There is supposed to be a twdiff command line program installed but it can't be found on my Mac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to delaneypub

delaneypub wrote:

In Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac OS X Lion, what file comparison utility should I use and what is the path to it (for the Preferences setting? I have TextWrangler installed via the App Store, but selecting that does nothing. There is supposed to be a twdiff command line program installed but it can't be found on my Mac.

What do you need it for?  As I understand it, you no longer need it.

<http://www.reedolsen.com/mac-os-x-file-comparison-software-no-longer-n eeded/>

Please tell us what exactly you are trying to do so that a better approach can be given.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:57 PM   in reply to delaneypub

Hello,

Following help link should help you to setup file comparision in Dreamweaver:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcd a9110b1f693f21-7edda.html.

Let me know if you have any queries/concerns.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to delaneypub

Hello,

You can use twdiff or diffmerge for file comparison.

If TextWrangler is installed without Admin previliges, twdiff will be available at /usr/local/bin/twdiff. On selecting this file in Dreamweaver System Preferences, it is replaced with the actual command path. And then you should be able to compare local file with the remote file.

I was also able to set Dreamweaver to use diffmerge(/usr/bin/diffmerge) for file comparision and Dreamweaver is successfully launching the tool for comparision.

Can you please try with twdiff or diffmerge once and let me know the XCode version if you are still facing the issue.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2014 2:09 PM   in reply to delaneypub

I have DW CC 13.2. on Mac Mini 10.9.2

I have specified TextWrangler 4.5.7 as my File Compare preference.

When I try to compare local-to-local or local-to-remote using any of the methods mentioned above, Wrangler opens an empty file, that is, I get no results. However, I can successfully use Wrangler's Search > Find Differences... to compare local files. I don't know if I installed Wrangler with admin privileges (as alluded to above) or not and I don't know how to ascertain if I did after a cursory searh. Also, such an install was not mentioned in the link provided above. I looked for /usr/local/bin/twdiff in the terminal ( cd /usr/local/bin/ ) but it is not there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points