Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Sharpness doubt

Aug 10, 2012 5:53 AM

The sharpness is an issue that worries me. I'm specifically addressing Nikon cameras. There are pre-defined profiles (which are also present in Nikon cameras) with a sharpness setting. eg. Landacape profile has a sharpness of 4, while Portrait profile has a strength of 2.

My (enormous) doubt is: when I choose in CameraRaw one these Nikon profiles, will the image receive these sharpness values or are they overrided with the Detail options from CameraRaw? Does the Adobe Standard profile already have sharpness?

In short, will the image receive sharpness only from the detail options or will it add even more to the sharpness from the camera profile?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to madeinlisboa

Wasn't this question answered on the Lightroom forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to madeinlisboa

Profiles in ACR/Lightroom only affect tone and color. Sharpness is

controlled only by the Detail panel.

Sent from phone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to madeinlisboa

For those of us, like me specifically, who don't use Lightroom and therefore never visit that forum, the answer to the OP is that Adobe Camera Raw ignores those extraneous in-camera settings.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to madeinlisboa

It's possible the Camera Raw algorithms are deriving more sharpness from your images, and/or that your default Camera Raw sharpening settings are causing your images to look sharper than those developed through the other software.

But as has been stated, the camera profiles in the Adobe software have nothing to do with sharpness.

Keep in mind you can save camera-specific defaults in Camera Raw, so you can create your own favorite set of settings (including Sharpening and everything else) and have them applied by default to your newly opened raw images in Camera Raw.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points