Skip navigation
davehaigh
Currently Being Moderated

Versioning InCopy documents

Aug 9, 2012 9:07 AM

Tags: #versions #indesign #incopy #workflow #history

Currently I work with a Word doc, uploaded to Sharepoint. This file is checked out and worked on and once it is saved back to its Sharepoint location, a version is saved. This allows someone to restore the most recent saved version back to a previous version or simply to see what changes have been made at each version in the history.

I'm currently working with the InCopy CS6 free trial to understand its features and whether it will be suitable. I understand the checking in and out process that you get, but the ability to see a list of versions of a document doesn't seem to exist. Am I missing it? Does InCopy have a version history of a document that is being checked in and out, and resaved by multiple users?

If there isn't an obvious built in versioning solution in InCopy then how do people go about keeping versions of a document with InCopy?

Interested to hear what solutions have been tried and tested.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to davehaigh

You’re not missing anything. Use track changes.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to davehaigh

No, it isn't.

I know it sounds like you'd be flying without a net, but I assure, you, tens of thousands of users are using the workflow as is, and they consider it a non-issue.

If you move to a publishing CMS (based on ID/IC) like vJoon's K4 or Woodwing or PlanSystem, I think they do have some sort of versioning feature built in. But those systems typically start at $20K,  (more often are $50K-100K) not including their required dedicated server or the ID/IC software.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

I supposed if it was that essential you could work out of a dropbox folder which keeps every version of every file.

That said, I think you'd be opening up a pretty big can of worms with that kind of workflow.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to davehaigh

I've never heard of anyone successfully using Sharepoint w/an IC/ID workflow.  The reason is that the ID file and the IC files need to be in one central location that users on the network read from and write to, and Sharepoint doesn't support that for ID and/or IC files. If you use Sharepoint as a waystation for versions, the uploading/downloading of versions from Sharepoint to the network file server breaks the IC/ID workflow.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to davehaigh

The best option is to use the workflow as intended. In my not so humble opinion I don’t see much in the way of an upside and way too much risk.

That said, it’s your risk to take.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to davehaigh

For simple versioning of documents I would suggest you to try dropbox for example, just remember to open the documents in your synchronized folder and not drag them to your desktop. There are many nice features for these types of services, you just need to dig in a little deeper to find them. Soonr even has a "lock file for me" feature, that would function very well as a check/in check/out function for a workgroup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points