• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe eLearning Suite 6 - Upgrading to 6 and keeping the previous version - is it allowed? Possible?

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just completed an enormous year long project in CP El Suite 5 and want to upgrade to 6. I need to keep a version 5 to handle edits to the legacy materials but need to get going in 6 so I can enjoy all those new features. Is there any way to keep 5 and install 6 as a separate full install under the one upgrade license?

Best, Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I believe the eLS went from 2.5 to 6. I'm assuming you are talking about Captivate 5 and upgrading to Captivate 6? You can keep the previous versions of Captivate (you don't have to uninstall Captivate 5) on your computer. Make sure you have 2 folders. 1 for cptx 5 and 1 for cptx 6. Copy and Paste all your cptx files into the cptx 6 folder and then when you open cptx 6 use those copies. Captivate 6 will convert the cptx 5 into 6 but if you have 2 copies in 2 different folders it will not affect the other project. You can always open Captivate 5 back up and open the project you saved in the cptx 5 folder back up.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anita, thanks very much for your reply. Is this 'officially' ok to do within the Adobe license for Captivate 5/6?

Best, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

I knew Anita was misunderstanding your question.

I'm guessing that from Adobe's standpoint it's not exactly kosher to have both versions if you only paid for an upgrade, but if I were in your shoes, I'd try it anyway.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I really appreciate your reply but I need to do everything by the book here. I'm hoping I can get the offical blessing from somebody at Adobe here. I mean I have paid for the suite and paid for the upgrade so I don't see in principle why not - but I need the offical word.

Best, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I am 99.9% sure that it is officially okay with Adobe to do that. I have done it since version 3 and at one time had version 4, 5, and 5.5 on my machine at work and I worked for the Oregon State Police so I don't think my IT folks would of done that if Adobe was not okay with it. Adobe has an EUA (End User Agreement) as a PDF that comes with the license, you can read though that to make sure or you can email: wish-captivate@macromedia.com to confirm. Just FYI: did you know that the EUA allows you to put the license on 2 computers - you just can't be using both machines at the same time. So I had mine on my desk top and my lap top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Anita, greatly appreciated. Well if you're you're doing anything illegal it won't be a long walk for you to the jail

Best, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: I have a copy of the EUA as a PDF but I can't upload it on this forum. If you can't find it and want a copy, you can email me at: anitahorsley@gmail.com and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very True Rick, I did make up my statistic on the spot!!!! So maybe after your statistic, I might lower mine to 88% sure!!!!

I agree, that Adobe is one that should answer Steve's question or he should go through the EUA with a fine tooth comb, I am just not willing to do that right now as I don't work for the Oregon State Police any more and don't have the previous versions on the same machine, so I know I'm not breaking any rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting take, Anita

I say that because on the RoboHelp side of things, we see regular admonitions that it's NOT okay per the licensing to purchase an upgrade at upgrade prices, then continue to use both the older and newer versions side by side.

I'm not sure if there is logically any way to realistically police that, but just as you are 99.9% certain it's fine with Adobe, I'm going to crawl way out here on this shaky little limb and state that I'm about 78.5% certain it's not okay if you read the licensing agreement.

And here's a fun little tidbit. Did you know that 87.4% of all statistics are totally made up on the spot?

Only someone from Adobe or one of the attorneys among us can honestly answer this question... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I was speaking to Adobe about this - this week. i.e. upgrading from ELS 2.5 to ELS 6. When you upgrade to ELS 6 the file you download is the complete version - it isn't an add on file you install on top of ELS 2.5. So you could have both versions on the ONE computer at the same time. ("one computer" being the important words here.)

I asked if i could keep Captivate 5.5 (from ELS 2.5) and he said yes. (so i am assuming the same would be true for ELS 2.5). He said to uninstall ELS 2.5, install ELS 6, and then install ELS 2.5 again or the Captivate 5.5. application from the ELS 2.5 file in my case. 

But for your own peace of mind - best check with Adobe.

Also the serial numbers for both versions should be the same. So buy it the same way you did last time e.g. Online via the Business Store or by phone etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2012 Aug 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi donatall, thanks for sharing that, I will follow the procedure you suggested here. Thanks to everyone else who contributed as well.

Best, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources