Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fit Content Proportionally Broken in CS6?

Aug 10, 2012 12:42 PM

I have been having a lot of issue with Fit Content Proportionally since upgrading to CS6.

In many of my documents (some new, some pulled in from earlier versions and saved over as CS6), I find that both via the menu and via the keyboard shortcut, the commonly-used and absolutely essential "Fit Content Proportionally" command just simply does not work.

I can create a bunch of square frames, and then fill them all with various-sized and shaped images, and then when I would usually Fit Content Proportionally to make them all scale down inside the boxes, what I get instead is no response at all. The only way to "fix" the problem is to go to the toolbar with the content selected and change either the vertical or horizontal percentage to any number at all. As long as the proportion lock is in place, then that changes both % numbers to the same number, and thus fixing the problem. This is what makes me think it is a bug.

Is there some new fitting setting in CS6 that I need to change?

I have tried saving as IDML and importing back into CS6, but the behavior persists. Interestingly, if I change the fitting via the toolbar % "fix" and then select Fit Content to Frame (not proportionally), then Fit Content Proportionally is broken again, and does nothing at all.

On most of my documents, Fit Content Proportionally works exactly as expected, and exactly as it always has. Of course my biggest "problem" documents contain large numbers of images.

error.jpg

High Res Image:

http://i.imgur.com/kl9jS.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Ben Frey

Trash your prefs. It's not a bug, and you shouldn't even suspect one if it works on some docs but not others.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I too am having fit content problems. Pref trashing did not help.

Trying to debug...

Any ideas welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

Did you do the backup and manual method,  so you could restore the old ones? It's definitely annoying when it doesn't help and you lose the customizations, but it's a ten-second fix if you back up a good set.

On to more troubleshooting. Does it work on another system, or a different user, for those files? Does export to .idml help? (Remove minor corruption by exporting)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

What happens if you make a new user on your machine and try it in that user?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

OK, If you can't do the new user, lets try the prefs again and some supplemental files, too (back up first). See John's list of extras at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315274

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Ben Frey

It 'seems' that the fit problem, in my case, is only happening with placed Illustrator files. Flattened images (tiff, etc.) work fine. I'll try with a PhotoShop image to see... Will revert.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Ben Frey

How frustrating! PSD are fine in my case. Arrgh.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to CAlyanak

This is a bug or a big enough change in behavior that it should come with a warning alert the first time you use it. I've replicated it across different 8.0.1 installs and (Mac) OSs.

To replicate:

1. Place graphic. I haven't seen a difference among placed graphic types.
    2. Resize the graphic frame non-proportionally.
    3. Object=>Fitting=>Fit Content to Frame, so that the content is scaled non-proportionally. (Or select the content and scale it non-proportionally.)
    4. Object=>Fitting=>Fit Content Proportionally. Nothing happens. (Or, if you scaled the content without fitting it in the previous step, the content may be centered, and it may be scaled, but the proportions won't be changed.)

I suppose you could make an argument that this is more correct than the old behavior—the command now means "Fit without changing the proportions"—but it's a big change, and I doubt anybody wants it to work this way.

Here's a short script that should more or less give the old behavior:

function fit(item) {
      var i, l, graphic;
      if (item instanceof Group) {
        for (i = 0, l = item.pageItems.length; i < l; i++) {
          fit(item.pageItems[i].getElements()[0]);
        }
      }
      else if (item.hasOwnProperty("imageTypeName")) {
        item.horizontalScale = item.horizontalScale < 0 ? -100 : 100;
        item.verticalScale = item.verticalScale < 0 ? -100 : 100;
        item.fit(FitOptions.PROPORTIONALLY);
      }
      else if (item.hasOwnProperty("graphics")) {
        for (i = 0, l = item.graphics.length; i < l; i++) {
          graphic = item.graphics[i];
          graphic.horizontalScale = graphic.horizontalScale < 0 ? -100 : 100;
          graphic.verticalScale = graphic.verticalScale < 0 ? -100 : 100;
          graphic.fit(FitOptions.PROPORTIONALLY);
        }
      }
    }
    function main() {
      var i, l;
      if (!app.documents.length) {
        return;
      }
      for (i = 0, l = app.selection.length; i < l; i++) {
        fit(app.selection[i]);
      }
    }
    app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Really Fit Content Proportionally");

There are  certainly some corner cases I've left out. Let me know if you try to use it and it doesn't work right.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to absqua

Did anyone ever determine a solution for this bug?  I am having the same problems Ben Frey described.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to MotorCity Kid

Did you try the script I posted?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers